1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need an affordable computer for Photoshop CS5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cetaceous, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

I'm really not sure which thread to ask this in, so I picked this one. I hope that's ok.

My old desktop crashed and I will soon be looking to replace it (when the money is available). After asking on another thread about how to repair it, I was given a suggestion for replacing it which made me realize that I can probably get away with getting an older machine and still have it be a significant upgrade to what I've been working on. I am asking what other possibilities may be available to me that I have not considered. In other words, I know there are some machines out there that are good and known to hold up better than others, and maybe will give me something I can work with for awhile without breaking the bank. I am open to this machine being a desktop or a laptop, as both have their advantages. I just don't know how to go about finding something decent!

My current machine:

Gateway GT5676 running Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium
    6 or 8 GB RAM (I don't remember; it started with 4 but I upgraded at some point)
    1TB HDD + 500 GB HDD (mostly used)
    ATI Radion HD3200
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core

What I need to be able to do with it (things I have been doing on my ancient workstation):

Run Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 4 and edit multiple photos at once
    Save lots of files--I am open to a laptop if I can find some other reliable place to save my files safely
    Basic word processing/email/business-y stuff
    (I would like to be able to play Elder Scrolls Online, but this is more of a desire than a requirement)

So, what are some good quality, reliable machines I can look into that will last for a little while (I got this computer second hand and have been using it for 6 or 7 years) for under $500? I need some help because I don't know where to start looking.

Thanks!

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I run CS5 and occasionally edit several images at the same time ....
    In my really old 32b XP, 3Gig Ram, Much older that yours, with No Problems.
    Your specs are more than enough .... but A SSD really speeds up CS5 load times.
    Get an External Enclosure , a Really Good HDD (with a 5 year warranty) ....
    and make you own external HDD (or Two)

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I got two of These for editing videos .... They were cheaper when I got mine with W7...
    They have CS5 and Premiere Elements loaded and one of them is running a SSD
    They are cheaper with With W10 loaded ... (that makes sense to me) ... No one I know wants W10
    But the HP 500-267C W7 recovery DVDs will work in any HP 500-267C

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185438