1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need an excel formula

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by gagect, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gagect

gagect Thread Starter

I am running excel 2000 and I need a formula to do what I am fixing to put in if it is possible if it isn't please let me know.
    if column c equals the word expense then add column D to Column E and total it below the last row on E if column C equals the word Income then add column D to Column F and total it in the following row of column F
    if you can help me with this I would appreciate it ASAP thank you!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Will the attached file work for you? It is set to allow up to 30 entries but can easily extended by copying the formulas into additional rows.

Attached Files:

3. gagect

gagect Thread Starter

That works great but is there away this can be done quicker than typing the formula into each row or not. Thinks again it works great it just looks like it is going to take a long time to plug that formula into 21 different spread sheet row by row. If there is another way please let me know.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am using Excel 2003 but this should work for Excel 2000...

Click in the cell in the last row with the formula. You will get a selection box around the cell with a small black box in the lower right hand corner. Place your cursor on the small black box and click on it. Hold the mouse button down and drag down as far as you want. The formula in the first cell will copy to the other cells while adjusting the relative cell references. Repeat procedure for the other column. You should also be able to select two cells at once and drag-copy the formulas in both columns at one time.

Edit: The sheet I uploaded to the site has formulas in rows 2 through 31. You didn't think I typed in 60 formulas did you? :D

Also, in case you didn't notice, the formulas only look to see if the first letter in the contents of the cell in column C is an "I" or an "e" before calculating any value for column E or F in the next row.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice