1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need assistance on removing junk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by philipvv, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philipvv

philipvv Thread Starter

I am an average user of computers but use powerful software in the work situation. (Geological modeling, Mine scheduling, etc)

I am running XP home edition on my home PC. The system is about a year old and has over the last few months become slower and slower. I notice this when I run my investment software. Also my son downloaded a picture for a school project and it appears has managed to get some bug onto my system that I cannot get rid of. When I am on the net it activates the following website and my ADSL line goes down.

www.advnt01.com/new_sys/send_ocx.asp?pub_id=31177

I use Norton Antivirus as protection on my system

What can I do to cleanup my system (remove junk) and improve performance.

Regards

PVV

2. BillC

BillC

Here is a great post by Steve on using Ad-Aware to get rid of some junk. Also, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Desk Cleanup and run that utility. This will be a start but you may need to post a Hijack This log as well.

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

I take it that you are defragging regularly? it may well be a good idea to do as BillC above has suggested and that is to go here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html and download the prog,read it carefully to see how to post a log back here for analysis,to see if you do have any bugs etc.....

4. neosage

neosage

sounds like you just have a bit of spyware lurking round your system. I suspect if you run spybot search & destroy, Adaware and CWshredder (after searching for and downloading updates) it will rectify your problems.

Switch off your system restore before running these (right-click my computer, properties, system restore tab)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice