1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need assistance troubleshooting boot issue.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quantized, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Quantized

Quantized Thread Starter

Hey all,
    I put a rig together for my old man about 12 months ago, it was working just fine up until recently and I'm not sure what is wrong with it.
    About a month or perhaps two ago it started having issues booting, he said it would boot intermitantly when he tried to start it up. Sometimes it would take him 10 or so restarts to get the computer going, this has now progressed to the point where it no longer boots at all.
    When you try to boot it, the fans all spin up and the DRAM light turns on and stays on (ASUS Mobo). The first thing I tried was running MemOK to see if that would fix the issue, but alas it does nothing to help.
    Seeing as the DRAM light was on permanently and the computer wasn't giving me any POST beeps, I assumed it might be a memory issue. Since then I've tried booting the computer with several different sticks of RAM that I know work (taken from other working computers) as well as with a stick of brand new RAM taken from the ASUS list for the mobo in question. Still no luck.
    I've tried breadboarding to some extent, I've pull it apart and made sure nothing is plugged in other than the CPU, HSF and PSU. When I do this the fans spin up and I get the beep code telling me that I have no memory installed (as expected), however as soon as I install any memory I am straight back to the old issue of having the DRAM light go red and no action (other than power to the fans).
    Tonight I intend to try a different PSU just to check that it is not the issue, other than that I have no idea. Is the mobo just not working, are the DIMM slots all buggered? If changing the PSU doesn't work the only thing I can think of is replacing the Mobo, spending money isn't an issue but I would like to only buy what is required to get the machine running again!
    It's also worth noting that when it did boot up, from then on it seemed to have no issues at all.

Cheers for your help!

Quant.

Specs:
    AMD Phenom II X6
    Samsung f3 1TB
    G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB
    ASUS M4A88T-M-USB3
    Thermaltake V3 BE with 450W PSU
    Win 7
    Some samsung DVD drive.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Back to the bare motherboard w/cpu and power supply. Try clearing the CMOS, and then install the RAM if you get the BEEP code for missing RAM.

Aside from that, it's likely one of those three components. Power supply, motherboard, or cpu (in that order).

Based on the power supply specs, I'd say faulty power supply.

3. Quantized

Quantized Thread Starter

Alright thanks! I will swap out the PSU with the HX-620 I have sitting at home and see if that fixes the issue, if not I am not sure I have an easy way to test the CPU as my other comp at home isn't the same socket, but I'll guess it's the Mobo and just grab a new one I spose!

4. Quantized

Quantized Thread Starter

Tried clearing CMOS, swapped in the HX-620, still no luck. Same issue as before, fans spin up and DRAM light goes on.

Replace the mobo?

5. Simba7

Simba7

Check the memory. If it's not the memory, it's the motherboard.

6. Quantized

Quantized Thread Starter

Have tried three different sets of RAM. Anyone have recommendations on what Mobo to get?

7. Simba7

Simba7

8. Quantized

Quantized Thread Starter

Well considering the rest of the build is pretty cheap don't need anything fancy. Prefer something reliable though, that is plenty cheap enough, and I've had good experiences with gigabyte in the past.

Easiest to get something off the AM3 list here: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

9. Simba7

Simba7

10. Quantized

Quantized Thread Starter

11. Simba7

Simba7

That's a little more to work with.

Hmm.. Do you need a Micro ATX board or can you go full?

12. Quantized

Quantized Thread Starter

Unsure, the Thermaltake website indicated it can take standard and micro I think.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice