1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Atheros AR5007EG Tweaks. Drops connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zapp22, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

hi guys
    I have a sammy netbook with the atheros AR5007EG wifi [internal] nic, running win XP home sp3.
    Its working better than it was after exchanging the driver, but still is prone to drop connection randomly -
    The AP is strong, and even my Nexus 7, which ain't famous for strong wifi, stays lit up all the time.

I can't detect a pattern to the connection - has nothing to do with location or what I'm tasking - just drops, sometimes reconnects immediately, sometimes not. Also, it does not come back from suspend healthy sometimes [I don't use hibernate].

scanning the web I see a lot of this sort of complaint about the device - I'm wondering if any of you know of a driver setting in the Advanced properties that might be flipped that would help this condition?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried an adapter driver from the atheros site

Drivers for the other windows operating system
    http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
    You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
    Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
    This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

For XP;
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030331.htm

>Click Start
    >right-click My Computer
    >click Properties.
    The System Properties window opens.
    >Click the Hardware tab,
    >then click Device Manager button.
    The Device Manager window opens.
    >Double-click Display adapters.
    >Right-click on the AR5007(EG) Adapter
    >click Update Driver
    The Hardware Update Wizard opens and asks to connect to Windows Update:
    > select No, not this time. Click Next
    >Select the following option: Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), and then click Next.
    >Select the Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install option, and then Next
    >Click the Have Disk button, and then click the Browse button
    Browse to the directory where you unzipped the file you downloaded
    Locate and highlight the the .inf file netathwx.inf
    >Click the OK button.
    >Click the Finish button when done.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice