1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Automated Drive Imaging Program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Alex Ethridge, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Back in the days of good old DOS, we had tape backup programs that could be preconfigured to run a complete drive backup on a schedule without user participation.

I'm looking for something like that for Windows 2000/XP. Norton Ghost is a great imaging program; but, I don't see anything in it that will cause it drop to DOS mode at the same time every day, image a drive automatically and then return to Windows--all on its own.

Any suggestions on anything about $100 and down that you know really works well with Windows 2000/XP would be appreciated.

2. Moby

Moby

Powerquest Drive image has a built in scheduler. You can create the intitial job of what you want to image and then schedule it, deselect 'do you want to be prompted to start', select 'restart computer when finished' and that seems to give you the option you're after.

3. Moby

Moby

Here's some screenshots. This is version 2002 for ME.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      52.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      53 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      35.5 KB
      Views:
  4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have my computer setup to dual-boot MS-DOS and 2K, and I use GHOST to automatically backup every Friday night at 2:00 AM. With the command line interface, it's totally automated...

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I went to CompUSA today and saw there was a new edition of Ghost, version 9. The sales clerk swears that it can be prescheduled to drop to below Windows into its own direct-disk-access mode and back up on a schedule of my choice. He also claimed I could select how many backups to keep. So, if I wanted to keep 30 backups, it would keep thirty and then start deleting the oldest each time a new one is created.

We'll see.

I got the package today and will be testing it. If it doesn't actually do direct disk access from below Windows, it goes back.

I've seen several backup programs that claim to backup all files, locked/in-use/etc., from the Windows GUI; but, they all fail to get some files.

Again, we'll see.

Thanks, Moby, you went to a lot of trouble for me and it is appreciated.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice