1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need BIOS update ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lentil, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lentil

lentil Thread Starter

If I enable UDMA in my BIOS - no matter what I set it to ie UDMA2,3,4 ... etc it automaticly jumps to UDMA6. This is too fast for my caddies, I cant get rid of the caddies, I can't source better caddies so I need to lower the UDMA level.

Is this normal HDD behavior ? - I would have assumed that setting the UDMA level in the BIOS should have locked it at that speed.

I suspect that I need a BIOS update. In the past I have tried to find the correct BIOS update but to no avail. Is there an app I can run to tell me what BIOS update I need ? I am thinking of something like the crucial memory locater app.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

A BIOS update will probably enable your hard drive data interface to run as fast as the hardware detects it can. I have read your other thread regarding the removable caddy that is causing trouble, a BIOS upgrade will not help with this and may make the problem worse. http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/590595-solved-udma-nightmare.html

3. lentil

lentil Thread Starter

I was wondering if a BIOS update might enable me to lock the UDMA mode in say UDMA4 instead of it jumping to UDMA6 no matter what UDMA mode I set the BIOS to.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

1st check your BIOS version. After you know your BIOS version check the motherboard manufacturers site for BIOS updates. IF this is a "mass produced" machine such as Dell, Gateway, etc. DO NOT check the motherboard manufacturers site, check the machine manufacturers site.

On BIOS updates there should be a "Read Me" file that explains what problems the BIOS update corrects. If a BIOS update does not correct a specific problem you are having, DO NOT UPDATE THE BIOS.

5. lentil

lentil Thread Starter

OK im on it :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice