1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need cheap build for KotOR II

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mercenary Dude, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mercenary Dude

Mercenary Dude Thread Starter

Dear great people of TSG,
    I've need some help from all the great people here. I've got this friend who is... for lack of better words, a Star Wars Junkie. She got KotOR I for Christmas last year. She stayed up for about 4 day without food to beat it. Well, thats what she says. She lives and breaths Star Wars, mainly KotOR. She got the second one for this Christmas and... well... shes heartbroken. No comps at her house will play it. the laptop she played on before dies during anymovie. So I've promised her too help her out here even though she says I shouldn't, I can't help it. Seeing her sulk around and moop is killing me. She comes from a not so rich family and lives in the boonies so she can't get a job till she can drive. This fall. She won't last that long. And i can't buy one for her, fore my mother controls my assets(drawbacks of being 15). So i was wondering what is the cheapest i can get a box for this game only. its just so she can play this. I got a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, she just needs the box. The system requirements are:
    Computer:
    100DirectX 9.0c compatible computer.

Operating Systems:
    Windows 98 SE, Millennium (ME), 2000, and XP.

CPU:
    Pentium III or Athlon class 1 GHz or faster required.
    Pentium 4 or Athlon XP class 1.6 GHz or faster recommended.

Memory:
    256 MB RAM required.
    512 MB RAM recommended.

Graphics Card:
    32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compliant AGP or PCX 3D Graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability required.
    ATI Radeon 9200 or NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti or better recommended.

Sound Card:
    100DirectX 9.0c compatible audio device required.

CD-ROM:
    Quad Speed CD-ROM drive required.
    16 Speed CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive recommended.

Input Device:
    Keyboard and mouse required.

DirectX:
    Microsoft DirectX 9.0c is included on this CD. You will be prompted to install DirectX during the installation of this game if this or a more recent version isn't already properly installed on your system.

NOTE: DirectX may require the "latest" updates for your operating system. This may also include the latest drivers for your particular motherboard, sound and video hardware.

Here is the chipset list for the system specs:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Video Chipsets Supported at Time of Release:

ATI Radeon 8500/9000/9200
    ATI Radeon 9500/9600/9700/9800
    ATI Radeon X300/X600/X700/X800
    NVIDIA GeForce 2/3/4 Family
    NVIDIA GeForceFX Family
    NVIDIA GeForce 6 Family

Please help out a boy after a girls heart. We are fond of each other but this would really help me out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Merc

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

What is your budget?

3. Mercenary Dude

well... as low as i can get is the main thing. the box will be strickly for KotOR II. i have a 20gb IDE hard drive so i won't need one there. but... i'd say $200 would be ideal. the higher the longer it will take till we have the money.
    Merc

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

So you have an operating system? How about optical drives you can use from an older machine?

What I'm getting at is a complete unit, less the hard drive, for $200.00 that will run ANY game isn't going to happen.

So IF you can come up with opticals, a case, a hard drive, then you can get a decent motherboard, RAM, CPU, Video card and PSU for somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.00--MAYBE.

And by operating system I mean a LEGAL copy of Windows that has an unused product key for installation in this machine?

5. Mercenary Dude

Yes, my dad works at a company that builds coputer for other companies then ships them out. OS is no problem. I can get a CD sure.Case... Ive got older cases around. If i pull out the PSU and clean it out, would it work? (its a old P2 so it wont run it but the case lookskinda nice.) All id need to start is 256 ram and then, later throw in another 256 when money promits. Any other help or thoughts?
    Merc

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

I wouldn't recommend reusing a power supply, as older ones generally don't have the power to support even smaller video cards in addition to the rest of the system. Also, if the power supply dies, it can torch the rest of the system too, and you're back to square one.

I'll see if I can come up with a list for you...hold on

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice