1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need comments about CARD READERS!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bluebunny, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluebunny

bluebunny Thread Starter

I have Arc Soft Digital Image & PhotoImpression, which downloads the digital pictures just fine but I do use the batteries on my camera to do the download. But this seems to be easier to use than the card reader.
    I definitely DO NOT know how to use the card reader and it didn't come with instructions.
    Anyone willing to tell me how to use it??!!

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

We need more info about what you have:
    Operating System
    Camera brand, model no., etc
    Card reader

3. bluebunny

bluebunny Thread Starter

Thank You,
    I have a 1999 Gateway pc
    running Windows98
    Gateway camera,DC-M40
    card reader says only 6in1 card reader/writer
    Is this enough?

4. stepheno

stepheno

Hi - a few things

1 What storage media are you using in your camera? At 6 to 1 your reader should take the most common eg Smartmedia, CF, Microdrive, etc but check anyway.

2 Have you installed the software for the reader? If you have and your PC has picked it up as new hardware then the drives should show up in Explorer.

3 Then all you need to do is copy and paste from the removable drive to your hard disk. REMEMBER only copy and paste. Always delete and or format your media in the camera.

Post back and let us know how you get on.

stepheno

5. bluebunny

bluebunny Thread Starter

1 What storage media are you using in your camera? At 6 to 1 your reader should take the most common eg Smartmedia, CF, Microdrive, etc but check anyway.

using-- Secure Digital Card,( Digital Media compactflash by SimpleTech) and the card reader does pick it up

2 Have you installed the software for the reader? If you have and your PC has picked it up as new hardware then the drives should show up in Explorer.

yes, I use Netscape, should I change?

3 Then all you need to do is copy and paste from the removable drive to your hard disk. REMEMBER only copy and paste. Always delete and or format your media in the camera.

I did notice that when I use the reader card it does not delete the pics from my camera like the ArcSoft software does. Do you have to delete the pictures from the flash card using the camera delete?

6. stepheno

stepheno

Hi Bluebunny -

1 Good!

2 Netscape is an Internet Browser not card reader software. When you got your reader you should have received, in the pack, a cd with the reader software on. Install the reader software before plugging in ther reader.

3 Always use your camera to delete photos on your SD card. Deleting or formatting media cards on your computer can fry the card or at worst fry your camera.

Hope this helps. Post back if you are still stuck.

stepheno

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

1) makes it a removable card that the reader can read. The brand/type are only important based on the requirement of the camera. They all work about the same, just in different sizes/shapes.

2) "Explorer" should have been explained a bit more. Windows Explorer is the way you are able to "see" what drives are there and what is on them.
    You can find it by clicking on "My Computer". The card reader will likely show several drive letters, one for each slot in the reader. Double click on the drive letter to see what is there. One of them will have a folder that is your pictures.

3) There is absolutely nothing wrong with deleting the pictures from while in the reader. I do it all of the time. I have never had a problem, I have never even heard anyone make such a warning.....

8. stepheno

stepheno

"Explorer should have been explained a bit more." A bit patronising isn't it? And I know two people who have rendered their Microdrives unusable by formatting in explorer. LCD comes up with the message "Card not Initialised" and "Cannot format media". I personally wouldn't risk it.

stepheno

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

As note here...

I use a Lexar firewire card reader and have two 1 gig and two 256 mb Compact Flash cards...

I put the card in the reader... cut and paste to a folder using Explorer...put the card back in the camera and go shoot some more pictures...No delete or format

I suppose some would say the cut and paste is a risk...I have never had any trouble

buck

10. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

stepheno,
    When you asked about the drive showing up in Explorer the response was
    "I use Netscape, should I change?"............Show me the patronizing

11. jjb

jjb

Stepheno......................I found this a bit puzzling myself, and I am not being sarcastic, just curious.
    I use a kodak ls443 and their easyshare docking system. I have 2 sd cards a 64 and a 256mb. With the easyshare software the the cards are read while in the camera thru the dock or thru usb connection. It automatically removes the data from the cards unless instructed not to within seconds of initializing the process. I have never used a card reader but where is the process different other then going thru their software?

Second thought that puzzled me. Memory cards are used for other medias, mp3's and palms come to mind, so it is not safe to remove any form of media thru a computer via a card reader without risking damaging the memory card?

jjb

12. stepheno

stepheno

Hi LONGHAIR - ok, ok, ok, Pax Vobiscum. I was probably feeling a bit fractious at the time. No offence intended.

jjb

I have no experience of palms, mp3's etc so can not comment. However here are a couple of links which may explain my points a little better.

ACDSystems

and

Steve's Digicams

Over here, microdrives are at least £100+ and speaking personally I am not prepared to risk frying it for the sake of maybe a few more seconds.

regards

stepheno

13. kath100

kath100

I use Fuji cameras with XD Memory cards.
    The operating instructions say NOT to erase or format the card while the card is in the camera and connected to the computer, it will damage the card.
    It is ok to format the card in a card reader and it is ok to format the card in the camera.
    Just to repeat, do not format the card using the computer whilst the card is in the camera.
    :)

14. Moby

Moby

My konica with sd cards says never format the card with the computer, only the camera. When using a card reader I can delete/move/copy/treat it like a floppy/defrag/scandisc but not format it.
    Just to confuse more :)
    I tend to go with what the manufacturer of the camera says. If I had a fuji, then whatever they say, konica - I'll listen to them, nikon - I won't listen to sony. . and so on.

15. stepheno

stepheno

Hi Bluebunny - sorry to have lost you in amongst all that. Have you managed to get your reader up and running?

stepheno

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice