1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Compaq model number

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RonaldWalcott, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RonaldWalcott

RonaldWalcott Thread Starter

Compaq D51C/P2A/40/p256cUS; serial no. =6X2C-KN8Z-K05A. My Multimedia audio controller and SCSI controler are corupt (yellow triangle) and I get no sound. I need to get the correct driver. Specifics =
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 503 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 2 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 19345 MB, Free - 10316 MB;
    Motherboard: Compaq, 07E8h
    Antivirus: None

Help would be appreciated

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The model number should be right on the front of the computer. Go to www.hp.com select support and drivers, input the model number from the front of the computer. It should take you to the correct page to download all the drivers for your computer.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It appears to me that you've installed Windows 7 Ultimate(32-bit) in a very old HP/Compaq computer - which now has a number of devices that don't work because the drivers didn't get installed.

There should be a sticker that has a product number on it. Advise what it is.

You may have a Compaq EVO D51C, but that's not confirmed yet.

--------------------------------------------------------

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I dont know how its even running windows 7 at all on 503mb of ram if thats the correct number.And having no antivirus installed is just asking for a lot of problems down the road. Theres a lot of good free ones out there that can be downloaded and installed.If the computer is that old as was mentioned there may not even be windows 7 drivers for it.

5. RonaldWalcott

RonaldWalcott Thread Starter

Dustyja: No the model no. was not on the front of the computer, but I found it in a window supplied by Windows 7. Then I went to the HP site that you suggested, but on entering the model no. I can see that HP (Compaq) has not up dated the driver for Windows 7, they only go as far as XP. I originally had XP on the machine but the internet connection was curupt and I couldn't get to the HP side to get XP clean XP drivers.

Now the question is, can I keep Windows 7, that works beautifully except for audio and get a driver work-around for the two audio drivers that I need?

flavalee: You are right, it is an old computer, but it still works so well.

Sueohio: Yes, you are right, I certainly need anti virus; if I can get the audio running that's my very next step.

My thanks to you three for the replay. Any ideas for a work around. If not I will go back to XP, but I do not really want to.

rw

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You are welcome.If theres no drivers at all listed for windows 7 for that model its not going to run right.Going back to windows xp might be your only option and hopefully the drivers for the internet will work properly this time so that you can get all of the correct xp drivers needed.Yes you can keep windows 7 but finding audio drivers for it might be a lesson in futility.If the computer supports it putting more ram in will help matters greatly and it will run a lot faster.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here to load and run the CRUCIAL system scanner.

Once it's done and displays the results webpage, copy and save and submit the webpage link so we can look at it.

---------------------------------------------------------

Go to Control Panel - Device Manager.

Advise what's listed in these headings:

Display Adapters

Network Adapters

Other Devices

Sound Video And Game Controllers

---------------------------------------------------------

Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information.

When the window appears, highlight System Summary in the left pane.

Advise what's listed in these headings in the right pane:

System Manufacturer

System Model

--------------------------------------------------------

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    BTW @ flavallee, an early Happy Birthday to you .

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks! 59 and holding. :D

-----------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice