1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need correct driver for IBM modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tlgccc, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tlgccc

Tlgccc Thread Starter

I keep getting disconnected from the internet, AOL said to call IBM for correct modem, driver, & com. IBM wanted $179.00!!!
    I have an IBM APtiva, Windows 95. I installed a new IBM modem 1 year ago, after lightning storm. No problems until now.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You wouldn't happen to know what the make and model of the new modem is, do you??

There might be a sticker or something on the card if you pull it out to look.

Then you might be able to find the driver online.

3. catlady13

catlady13

HI TIG .. could you please post the model number of your IBM aptiva and your operating system. That way we can see if they have the specs on their site and perhaps the drivers as well . Thank you.

4. Tlgccc

Tlgccc Thread Starter

Thanks, 2142 S62 Aptiva -Windows 95
    The ModumThat came up on one of my ports was 14.4 Data Fax w/ DAA PCM CIA. I ordered it from IBM about 1 yr ago.
    I am just home for lunch - I get off work at 7:00, so I'll check back then. Thanks so much for any advice!

5. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

I hate to say it, BUT AOL as an ISP does have it's problems with disconnects.
    Which version of IE are you using? Or, are you using the AOL version----

SM

6. catlady13

catlady13

7. Tlgccc

Tlgccc Thread Starter

Thanks ! I'll check out that site. I have no idea which IE I have - How do I find out?

8. Tlgccc

Tlgccc Thread Starter

I just looked at that site, it does look like the one I need! If I download it, and then it's not, will it hurt anything?
    Thanks!

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Tlgccc...

This is a laptop correct ?

If so remove the PCMIA modem ( power down first ) and post the model # and anything else it say's on the top and bottom of the card...

10. Tlgccc

Tlgccc Thread Starter

No, desktop.

11. hewee

hewee

If you got the red and blue cd that came with the aptiva the drivers are on the blue cd.
    But that would be no good it the modem is not the same one as it was before.

http://members.aol.com/don5408/aptiva.html

12. catlady13

catlady13

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/s...artnumberind=0&subcategoryind=0&validate=true
    This is the download site for the original modem drivers for that pc so if they gave you an identical modem these SHOULD be it .. It is odd though because you asked at first for pcm cia drivers which I do believe are for a laptop no ?? Can somebody back me up on this one or am I wrong ? I think the guys are right and unless you have some kind of model number for the modem you put in you are going to have to pull it out and check the numbers on it to make sure which model you have so we can help you find the right drivers.

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

No...catlady13...you're not wrong, PCMCIA cards are usually for Laptops, although there are PCMCIA adapter cards for PCI slots out there...

http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/index.php

But I think if Tlgccc, is showing a PCMCIA driver then it is the wrong driver for the card ( I've used PCMCIA drivers for a HSP 56 Micromodem, and they worked, although not very well )...

Tlgccc...

If you are still in this go here,Aida32 and download and install Aida32, it should tell you what modem you have...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice