1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need data recovery help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a hard disk here that died right in front of me. We had identified some bad surface area and were in process of copying the data to backup in preparation for replacing it.

We restarted the computer and it came up with "Missing Operating System". The boot sector seems to be gone along with the partition table. I've run Active Partition Recovery to no avail. I'm sure that if I were skilled at direct disk editing, I could correct the problem well enough to recover something; but, I have no expertise there.

Utilities that run under Windows probably won't help as the data is in an area that is seen by Windows as "unallocated space".

What utilities are there that might help?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might try PC Inspector, it appears that your partition table was wiped out, which is one issue this addresses pretty well.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give it a try. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

You could also just try the old chkdsk /f which you can run from the Recovery Console off a Windows CD disc. I once had that same problem (not exactly the same--but a disc error) and was able to read the disc after it ran.

Also, did you try this disc as a slave?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it's all unallocated space, CHKDSK won't run.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice