1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need directions for a 2nd OS

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by xico, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

Recently I reinstalled windoz 98se, but Im still having problems with it. I have a120GB with 3 40GB partitions. I think I'd like to install SuSe 7.1; but I'd also rather not wipeout the windoz OS just yet--I need to dual boot. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Xico :D

2. tsunam

tsunam

Well if you want to put it on the same drive as the 98 you need to get something like the resize the current partition programs, once you do that then you should have a lenth of space however large you want the linux partition to be, you pop in the suse install disc and reboot. From there you'll be following along the instructions of making the now new available section to the linux format and adding lilo to the MBR. If you dual boot windows and linux its generally recomended to use lilo. Its much easier to work with for that aspect.

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thanks tsunam! I wasn't going to put it on the same drive as win but if that can be done, that's probably the best way to do it. Thanks again.

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

fips is the way to go with 98. Works wonderfully. You dont even need ALL of linux to be on the first drive. Just a small boot partition will do it (Actually, i lie... you dont even need anything on the first drive, however, boot partition on the first drive makes life easier).

5. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thank you Whiteskin! I may not have gone very far, but Im headed in the right direction! :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice