1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need DOS help !

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gkimble, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled Thread Starter

How do I put a file "ntdll.dll" that's on a floppy into my C:/WinNT directory through DOS Command Prompt ? Thank you!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That depends on which filesystem you have installed on the boot partition of your system. If it's formatted NTFS, you won't be putting any files onto it with plain DOS. If the boot partition is formatted FAT32, all you have to do is:

COPY A:\NTDLL.DLL C:\WINNT

3. gkimble

I checked it out and it's NTFS. Windows 2000 repair disk doesn't seem to work nor does "Last Good Configuration".

4. gkimble

I am getting an "out of memory" error when I try to do this: A:\copy ntdll.dll C:\WinNT\system32 or A:\copy ntdll C:\
    I tried a couple other variations too with no luck.

5. JohnWill

If you have NTFS, as I mentioned, MS-DOS is useless to you to access that partition. I'm a bit surprised that a repair installation doesn't put the file back.

FWIW, an easy way to put the file back with NTFS on the disk is to remove the disk and temporarily put it into another W2K/XP machine and do the copy there, then put it back in your machine. The other option is to give the Winternals folks $299 for the DOS version of their NTFS driver that will allow you to write to NTFS partitions from DOS. You know which option I'd pick! :D

6. gkimble

It's a laptop harddrive and I don't have the litttle IDE cable adapter here. I could make my own but we know how painful that is. I'm creating an image of the drive then reinstalling windows.

7. JohnWill

Well, it would be much easier to acquire the adapter and do it by my method, but whatever works. :)

8. cj_white

cj_white

you can get NTFSDOS from here . this should allow you to copy the file you need

9. JohnWill

I think you missed the part about the free version being a reader only! $299 is for the Pro version that allows you to write to NTFS filesystems, note the descriptions. :rolleyes:

NTFSDOS v3.02 Access NTFS drives for read-only access from DOS.

NTFSDOS Professional v4.0 Full read/write access to NTFS drives from DOS! Download this free read-only version.

10. cj_white

cj_white

they have a free version on there somewhere because i downloaded it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice