Need dos on my 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnap

I have 2000pro on my computer . Iwant to boot into 98 to load a map program.installed a 2nd hard drive but with the networking it's still 2000. Can anybody help. thanks

crjdriver

There is no dos in win2k.

If you want to install win9x, it can be done however it is somewhat involved.

The easy way to dual boot W98 and W2000 pro is to install W98 first and then W2000 pro.

cybertech

Retired Moderator
Where does the software come from? It may be possible to run it under W2K. BTW there is dos in W2k...

crjdriver

cybertech said:
Where does the software come from? It may be possible to run it under W2K. BTW there is dos in W2k...
Where do you find dos in win2k? There is a cmd prompt window, however that is not dos.

crjdriver

BTW if you really want to install win9x after win2k, here are the instructions.

1 If the drive you have win2k installed on is fat32, it is somewhat easier. Boot with a win9x boot disk and install win9x on your 2nd hd. Note DO NOT install win9x to the same drive / partition as win2k. Once you are finished with the win9x install, you will need to repair the win2k boot files on the root of the boot drive.

After you finish with the win9x install [and the system is booting correctly] boot with your win2k cd. Enter the recovery console. Note you must have the admin password to repair win2k. Type this in order and hit enter after each line.

FIXBOOT, answer Yes
CD \
ATTRIB -H NTLDR
ATTRIB -S NTLDR
ATTRIB -R NTLDR
ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
ATTRIB -S NTDETECT.COM
ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C

If the file system you have win2k on now is ntfs, you will need to use a third party boot manager in order to boot each os.

DoubleHelix

Banned
You can't find DOS in Windows 2000 because it isn't there. There is no DOS, just a command prompt which may look like DOS, but it's not.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online