1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Driver for Vista or 7 ATI Radeon Xpress 200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

HP Pavilion a1130n running Windows 7 32-bit.

A week or so ago, I found Windows Vista drivers for this system that worked well and now I can't for the life of me find them again. I've been at it several hours now and have loaded at least 20 drivers that don't work.

The video card is identified by Everest as ATI Radeon Xpress 200 and the sound as AC97.

It has an MSI board marked MS-7093.

HP offers no Vista

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

3. Alex Ethridge

Thanks.

I tried that one. When the computer reboots, it gives an error message that there is a compatibility issue and it will not load.

4. Alex Ethridge

Before anyone spends any more time on this, I've decided to give up on Vista or 7 on this system and put the XP back on that came with it.

This is a freebie for a disadvantaged person and I don't want to spend any more time on it.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    When there is no drivers for a particular operating system on a mfrs website its just best to stick with whatever the computer came with.otherwise its just futile and maddening to try to do otherwise.sometimes with windows 7 for whatever reason a lot of times all drivers needed are installed but that doesnt happen to often. when it does im always pleasantly surprised even if i do have the drivers needed on hand ready to install.

6. Alex Ethridge

Well, I had it working with some Vista drivers I found a few days ago from God knows where. I formatted the drive to start over without thinking about the drivers stored on C and now I can't find the drivers again.

No matter, though, it wasn't a money job.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog site:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Allow the plug-in to be installed so you can access drivers at the site.

Type in ATI Radeon Xpress 200 in the search box.

Select the second one down from the top of the list.

Go to your basket, then select a location for the driver to be downloaded to.

Extract the contents of that .cab file into the same folder.

Go into the Device Manager to update the graphics driver.

Browse to the CH_69200.inf file to install the driver.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully, that'll help.

------------------------------------------------------

8. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the information; but, clicking on the link in that page produces "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at winqual.microsoft.com." I get the same result with IE. Neither do Language Selection, Package Details, nor Install Resources tabs work. I click and nothing happens in IE and Firefox.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Sorry. I gave you the wrong link in post #7.

I've edited and entered the correct link.

------------------------------------------------------------

10. Alex Ethridge

Thanks, I know you went to a lot of trouble for this. I'm imaging the XP installation now so I can get back to it easily if another attempt at Win7 doesn't work out.

I'll let you know the result; but, it may be a day or two.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I read your above comment, but I decided to reply anyway, just in case you decided to give it another go.

It didn't take me all that long to obtain the driver and download it and extract it.

I was hoping it had a setup.exe file, but it didn't, so the only option I see to install it is via the back door method in the Device Manager.

Hopefully, it'll work.

---------------------------------------------------------

The HP Pavilion a1130n desktop is 8 years old, but it should run Windows Vista(32-bit) or Windows 7(32-bit) just fine for basic computing use.

I would increase the amount of DDR PC3200(DDR400) RAM to at least 2 GB or max it out to 4 GB.

I would also add a 256 - 512 MB video card with heatsink cooling that supports Vista/7.

12. Alex Ethridge

Thanks again.

I've already increased the memory to 2 Gigs; but, that is only because I had it on hand in my junk box. This is a charity job and all she does with it is e-mail and internet browsing. She might occasionally type a letter. So, a better video card is out as I haven't anything here like that in the junk box.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's too bad you don't have a PCI or PCI Express x16 video card in your junk box that supports Vista/7. :(

I have to agree that spending money on an 8-year old charity job isn't worth it. (n)

Anyway, good luck. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------

14. Alex Ethridge

No juice.

I attempted to install every Windows 7 driver except those listed as "mobility". They all returned "the best driver is already installed" (standard VGA), except the last one which said it could not find the file specified.

I'm done with this and thanks for all the time and effort you put in.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Groan! Sorry it didn't work. :(

You're welcome. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1098298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice