1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Ethernet controller driver but can't find. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by matthew4520, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matthew4520

matthew4520 Thread Starter

Hi, I have an older windows xp and just re-installed windows. My internet works but i need my router working and I'm having a problem because I have no driver for the Ethernet controller. I opened my computer and it has a number on it(P35-1B7-RFZ9) and believe its from G-Tech, but I can't seem to find the driver on the internet. Does any one know where or how to find the driver? My internet works on this computer but the other two which connects wireless won't work. Please help if you know how or had this problem? Thanks

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

That number seems to be for a chipset.
    Try using this to identify the network adapter.
    http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
    The standalone version should be fine so you
    don't have to install it.

3. matthew4520

Under network adapters there are many different sub menus? which one would it be? thanks

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Under the hardware listing,click network adapters.
    It should show the network hardware you have.

5. KMTech

KMTech

If the adapter's driver is not properly installed on your computer, you will not be able to see the brand and model number of the adapter you are using, instead you will see unknown device or Ethernet controller or something similar. I suggest that you check the adapter itself since you mentioned that you have already opened your computer to check on the adapter. The numbers you have given earlier is the S/N number. Hope that helps. Btw, you can also check the adapter's packaging for the model number if you still have it.

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

SIW will read the identification info on the adapters chip.
    It doesn't need a driver installed.

7. matthew4520

Under network adapters it just shows my modem. But my problem is i believe i need the ethernet controller driver so i could install my router because it wont let me install and the ethernet port lights on the router are off. Is there any way of finding the driver for it. I tried installing a intel one to try(probably not the driver for it) but when thats installed it shows 2 internet connections.

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If it is not shown,it may be disabled in the bios setup.
    Usually you would press delete as the computer
    starts up to enter the bios setup,depending on the motherboard.
    It would probably be under the listing integrated periferals.

9. KMTech

KMTech

Did the Ethernet adapter came with the computer (built-in) or did you install it yourself? If it is built-in, the driver is in one of the CDs that came with the computer when you first got it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice