1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Ethernet Controller Driver

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NinjaCloud, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NinjaCloud

NinjaCloud Thread Starter

ok so here is the deal I have a Windows 7 hp laptop and it runs on my dsl via wireless. and i have a DX2300 hp tower pc which would run on my dsl via an Ethernet cable. all i need is one little driver. i've tried to install all the dx2300 drivers off the hp help and support site but to no avail. I've called so many hp and microsoft hotlines but like 10-15 mins in there like one time charge of 100 and somthin dollars and im like **** that. so please can someone please tell me a solution to this network problem. is my networking card bad you think? I dont know this site is a last resort i need this tower up and running with my internet pleaaase whoever can help me get 1,000 internetz pointz :D

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i will move to networking forum

What happens when you install the adapter drivers?

would you post the device manager results here
    {Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

{ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

3. huggie54

huggie54

go to control panel>system>hardware>device manager and scroll down to network adapters,expand,have you an ethernet device there,is there a yellow ! or red x,if not highlight,click the action tab and update drivers,if you can see the ethernet device what make is it.

4. NinjaCloud

ok i got to device manager and i dont even see a network adapters menu all there is, is other devices and it has ?! ethernet controller and ?! SM bus Controller

EDIT: oh yeah when i install the drivers that come from the hp website nothing happens i restart my computer and go to look for the network adapters but still nothing i have tried all drivers from the hp website that have to do with the dx2300.

5. NinjaCloud

oh yeah Huggie i went to the device manager and i cant see any details on the driver. i tried to roll back and nothing i cant update b/c i can't get on the internet. all i see on the device is that it is not working lol and i knew that already lol

6. huggie54

huggie54

hiya mate go back in to device manager,right-click the ethernet adapter and uninstall,reboot your pc and it will automatically reinstall it.you need to copy the make of your ethernet adapter onto another pcs search engine and download the latest drivers,then transfer to your machine via disc or flash drive

7. NinjaCloud

i see, how do i find the make of it if i can't see any details on it though? do i have to open my pc up? or can i find it on google or somthin DX2300 microtower HP by the way. thanks for the help to mate :cool:

EDIT: ok so i went and uninstalled, restarted, as soon as my pc booted it found new hardware i take it that, that was the ethernet controller. i went to device manager but still has the ?! yellow question mark with the yellow exclamation point. idk thank its my net card or somthin?
    EDIT: can i has a bump now :p

8. huggie54

huggie54

what is the wording where the yellow exclamation mark is,you could take the side off your machine and seeif you can see the make of your motherboard

9. NinjaCloud

the wording is Ethernet controller and under it it has sm bus controller both are not working

10. vicks

vicks

Download, install and run the small free program www.belarc.com This will tell you everything on your computer, both hardware and software, including license/key numbers.
    Vicks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice