1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Excel Expert help

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bcoups, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcoups

bcoups Thread Starter

I have an Excel file I downloaded from another forum. It is not my work. It generates a schedule for my 8 Ball league. I can input the # of teams and the number of weeks in the session, hit "generate" and I get a fairly balanced home and away schedule. I need to tweak the schedule, because some of our venues have more than 1 pool table and multiple teams, so there is an over-booking possibility to deal with. Also, we would like the schedule to pit most of the stronger teams (for ex. the top 10 or 12 teams from the previous session) against each other. Are these tweaks possible with Excel or do I need to find someone proficient in VB, C++ or C# to write an app for us ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Attached Files:

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG,
    I checked out the spread sheet, Its pretty cool. There was a note in the help file:
    Note that pairs of teams in the schedule have complementary home/away patterns, so this pattern can be used to advantage if there are pairs of teams that share the same venue.

So that should cover your multiple team at one venue issue.

As far as 'stacking the schedule' I would just look it over and assign team names to the numbers playing each other that satisfied your criteria. Its cool that you can put a team name in column A and it propagates to the schedule. Spin it till it makes a schedule you like. No system will be perfect. It would be quite an undertaking to add a Rank weight to the schedule.

You might try making two schedules with your top teams in one. In my opinion if there's not enough weeks for everyone to play each other at least once you should split the league.

3. rcoups

rcoups

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the venue problem, we have one location that has 3 tables and 5 teams, so a problem occurs when a fourth team from that venue would be scheduled to play there as the home team and NOT against one of the other teams from that venue. Another venue has 2 tables and 4 teams and there's one with 1 table and 2 teams. All the rest have 1 team and 1 table , which is no problem at all. I had resigned myself to just printing out some generated schedules as you suggested and then troubleshooting them, but I was hoping to avoid that. The league operator doesn't want to split the league into divisions either. Thanks again for the input.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice