1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need expert help Please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tindrawer, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tindrawer

Tindrawer Thread Starter

To anyone who can help,
    When I tried to open a game which was recently installed it seemed to hang. So I tried a fresh reboot to see if i could get it going. While rebooting a window opened by Adwatch said a registry change was being attempted so I told it to block it. This happened about 10 times and I told it to block all attempts because I did not know what was attempting to alter my registry. Then when Windows loaded(XP home) All the program icons on my desktop were changed to some sort of windows icon & all the file names foir these have an .lnk extension shown. Also none of the programs that normally load on start up will not load. The task bar is empty. If I try to load a program through my computer and click on an exe a window opens an says The file does not havea program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel.
    When I do this by adding a new file extension in the file types tab (EXE) and go to advanced and in associated file types put in Application it puts EXE in the extension & file types window. But as soon as I close folder options and open it EXE is gone. Also in start programs all the program files have .lnk extensions. I have managed to run Mcafee viruscan and Nortons antivirus but nothing comes up. I also tried to run regedit but this also won't run because it has a .exe extension.
    A note opens and says windows needs to know what program created it. Also I cannot run Hijack this because the same note starts up. I can get on the internet through I.E. (cable hookup) and surf. Please any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Tindrawer

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Download this file

Then, double click on it and allow it to be added to your registry.

Reboot, and with any luck all will be back.

3. Tindrawer

Tindrawer Thread Starter

Thanks for thr reply,

I have downloaded the exefix.reg file but when I double click on it the same note comes up that says "windows cannot open this file:
    File: exefix.reg
    To open this file windows needs to know what prgram created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically or you can manually select select from a list on your computer. then it asks what I want to do.
    It seem that I cannot run any .reg or .exe files anymore. Anything else to try?

4. WhitPhil

5. Tindrawer

Tindrawer Thread Starter

Whitphil,
    Thanks again but I cannot do a system restore because the same note comes up. That windows cannot open this file. Got anything else short of reloading windows?

6. Tindrawer

Tindrawer Thread Starter

I think this is because system restore is a .exe file. which will not run at this time.

7. WhitPhil

8. Tindrawer

Tindrawer Thread Starter

WhitPhil,
    Thank you thank you thank you. That got it done.

9. Tindrawer

Tindrawer Thread Starter

Damn I spoke too soon. Hope you are still reading this thread. After a restart the same problem came back. Numerous restore points tried but the same problem keeps popping up. I'm at my wits end. Please any other suggestions? I am about to reload the operating system.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

A clean installation is so much easier and quicker than chasing bugs . . I find if I spend more than an hour chasing bugs, a cut the losses and reinstall is the best solution.

This is a good guide if you need it.

wrs

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!