Need File association fix Very Urgent

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crzycrkr

All my file associations got screwed up royally. I have no idea how, but I need a way to fix it quick. Everything I download I can not open. Please help. Very urgent. Thanks in advance

Windows XP Pro SP2

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Is it strictly related to things you download?

Ie: Double clicking on a shortcut, opens the program; on an EXE, opens the program, on a DOC, opens Word or Wordpad, etc etc

And, if so, what are the filetypes involved?

crzycrkr

o, it is associated to just about everything. My browser works and that is about it. I've gotten my virus scan going and it found nothing. II have a post a couple posts down that explains everything. Please help.

jrbuergel

Jim
Just right click each file you want to open, and select, "open with" and then pick the right program to use for that file type. Or open your Control Panel, click the Folder Options, then do all the file associations correctly there.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
jrbuergel said:
Just right click each file you want to open, and select, "open with" and then pick the right program to use for that file type. Or open your Control Panel, click the Folder Options, then do all the file associations correctly there.
Good thought, but it won't help with EXE's and in general, when this happens, needs some major "surgery" to correct.

crzycrkr

Okay, the two links are to the same place, I downloaded exefix08.inf and installed it. Then I get a window that says windows cannot open this file. The file is grpconv.exe and it gives me the option to use the web to find the program or select from a list. What now?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
I fixed the link to the virus scanner.

Open NOTEPAD and copy/paste the text that is between the dashed lines (including the last blank lineI.
Then, do a File > Save > Select ALL files and save it "somewhere" with a REG extension. IE: FIX.reg

Then double click on the file to add it to the registry.

This "should" get your EXE's back on the air and allow you to complete the virus check.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
"TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion"
"InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PEAnalyser]
@="{09A63660-16F9-11d0-B1DF-004F56001CA7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
@="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page]
@="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

--------------------------------------------------------------

jrbuergel

Jim
Have you run the system file checker tool yet? Only problem with this is that you need to have your XP CD disk with you so it can copy files to replace any missing or corrupt ones. If you can then just click the start, run, and type in this; sfc /scannow with that space too.

crzycrkr

I'll do the notepad thing in one second. I am runningwindows file protection now and it is slowing my computer down so much itts nuts. I already tried to do a windows fix with the xp disx, but after it was done I still had the same problems. Thanks for all the help, I will poost after doing the notepad thing.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
I just read your other post and see that all your shortcuts now appear as LNK files. The attached REG file is the fix to that as well as the EXE issue. So, use it instead of the reg fix above.

Rename the extension from TXT to REG, then double click on it to add it to the registry.

BTW if the repair didn't work, the SFC will have no affect.

BTW 2 This is caused by a virus/trojan/malware infection. So, as soon as you get EXEs running again, do a full virus scan, and also download and run HiJackThis and copy/paste teh created LOG file back here in a NEW post to allow it to be reviewed for any additional issues.

Attachments

crzycrkr

okay, i had to shut down for a minute. For some reason everything i was typing was coming out backwards. What exactly do i have to do with that attachment? Do i save it first? When I saved it, it opened in notepad and i saved it in notepad with a reg extension. I double clicked on it but that just opened it back up in notepad. I'm sorry, I'm just getting very confused. Thanks for the help

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Yes, the easiest is to Open it in Notepad
Then, do Save As and at the bottom change the Save as Type to All Files and then in the File Name type Exefix.reg

Then, select that file, and double click to add it to the registry.

crzycrkr

When I double click I get the windows cannot open this file message. What program should I open it with? On a side note, I have system mechanic which has a registry cleaner/fixer. Only problem is when I run it I don't underdstand what I am supposed to do afterwards. Could this help with my dilema?

crzycrkr

Still having the problems. I am considering waiting until I get back home so I can transfer some file to a different hard drive and do a clean install of XP. The only thing that pisses me off is that this is a very recent install(within two months or so). I also ran that virus scan that you suggested, and my own. Niether came up with anything. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated, but I go home tomorrow and will probably be reinstalling windows on thursday or friday if I can't get it figured out by then. Thanks again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online