1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need file backup advice (new system)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jelleym, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

I'm not sure which forum this belongs, so I'm trying my luck here, since it concerns backing up my present files for transition to new Dell tower (plus Win-XP) which I just purchased.

My present Compaq Presario 5151 Win '98 has a zip drive, and this week Dell is shipping me an external zip drive. I backed up files onto my zip disk, though I'm not sure those are the correct files to backup.

So I decided to attach a screenshot in the hope that someone here can advise me whether I backed up the correct files for transition to the new system.

Also, I want to get the new system connected in order to make sure that everything I need is on there (for example, I want to be sure the Dell system recognizes my WordPad-formatted documents) before reformatting my old Compaq hard drive.

So is there a way to get:

(1) the old system backed up to new system
    (2) the new system up & running to check everything was backed up OK
    (3) disconnect the new system and then reconnect the old system in order to reformat the old hard drive so that it's blank
    (4) reconnect the new system

Without major hassle? What the usual procedure for this?

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You won't have any use for Program Files, those are linked tor registry data that cannot be transferred.

You should be able to use your personal data though that was backed up on Zip. If you want you can even have a computer store like Best Buy transfer the entire contents of your old computer to a folder on your new one. I think the running price is 75 to a hundred bucks depending on whether you want zip files backed up as well.

3. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Rollin' does this mean that I'd have to download Leech and IrfanView all over again? Because those are among my Program Files, but I don't see them in My Download Files.

Also, do I take this to mean that whatever I transfer from My Download Files would work on the new system?

And would transferred Cookies files work as well?

It would be helpful to me if there were a site that showed a sample screenshot of files on a backup directory, since a picture is worth 1000 words, and I'd better understand what's necessary and what's not necessary to backup.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have saved the SETUP programs in My Download Files, you don't need to download those again. Just run them and the programs will be reinstalled. You just can't use the old Program Files folder because that is created after setup. So that means Irfanview will have to be downloaded again.

In theory you should be able to use whatever you have saved in My Documents. Since they came from a Win98 fat32 system I don't for see any problems moving them to an NTFS file system. Had they come of another NTFS system there might have been "security" issues.

Cookies are not transferrable. Why in the world would you want to anyway? :rolleyes:

If I were doing that I would just be concerned about saving special documents, downloaded setup files, images, music, and favorites.

I'm not sure about e-mail stuff, never download that anyway, but you might ask others about Outlook Express related files.

5. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Thanks Rollin'!

About the cookies, the reason is because of website counters that are interconnected with cookies - i.e. TheCounter. Any solution to this?

I'm trying to recall why there aren't Setup files in My Download Files for Irfan & Leech. It's such a pity to have to download them again.

I only use online email, so that's not a concern for me.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The only real concern with losing cookies is that you will have to login with your pasword information on sites that require them, like this one. Counters are of interest only to website operators themselves.

Fortunately Irfanview isn't too long of a download; and if it's been a long time, you might find a new and better version waiting for you anyway. You'll want to install the plugins as well.

7. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

That's me. I have websites. Nothing professional but there are counters. Any solution?

And that's why I'm concerned about Leech as well, since I've been using Leech all along for updating my sites.

P.S. (Update) Forget about the counters, I changed my mind it doesn't matter. But I'm still concerned about Leech.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Don't know anything about Leech myself. I suspect you will just have to download and reinstall it again. If it is registered software, you will need to have the registration ID for it.

You can certainly post a separate topic for it, but I'm not sure where would be best -- Web and e-mail, All other Software, or Development.

9. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Well, OK, thanks for all your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice