1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need file manager with four windows

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Alex Ethridge, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have been using PowerDesk for several years now; however, I would like the ability to open four windows at once. PowerDesk gives me only two.

Does anyone know of a similar file manager that will give me four windows?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Open two instances of PowerDesk?

3. mobo

mobo

Linux :D

4. Alex Ethridge

The PowerDesk toolbar on the second copy take up too much of the screen.

5. RandyG

RandyG

6. michael_jii

michael_jii

ope my computer 4 times....

7. pgriffet

pgriffet

Total Commander will be soon available with a new interface which includes tabs. You will able to open as many tabs as you want, synchronized.
    Here is the thread on the TC forum, initiated by the author itself : http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1166

TC is the BEST file manager, used by MS at Redmond and mentionned on alt.comp.freeware as the best choice for file management, even if it's a shareware but there is no difference between the trial version and the official version. TC available here : http://www.ghisler.com

I NEVER use Explorer as this file manager LIES about the real folder content, for "security reasons". No one will prevent me from accessing my disks and see what's really going on and not the way MS wants me to view my disk (TIF folder, Recycle Bin, desktop.ini and index.dat files, and so on).

8. Alex Ethridge

There are some good suggestions here and I have learned about some new programs that may be useful in the future; however, I do need a file manager that can open four windows, all the same size and all at once.

Opening four copies of Windows Explorer works; but, it is unwieldy, time consuming and difficult to get them all exactly the same size and positioned on the screen so that all parts of all windows are fully visible

PowerDesk is perfect but, has only two windows max. The programs with tabs give me many windows but, not all at once.

In the days of DOS, there was a file manager called Tempest, developed by a company named Abacus. It gave me a choice of running it in two-window, three-window or four-window mode. But, they never made the transition to Windows at all.

I sure miss it.

For now, it looks like the best solution is to run two copies of PowerDesk and just size and arrange them to meet my needs each time. At least that way, I am working with sizing and arranging only two objects instead of three or four.

9. RandyG

RandyG

Alex - Did you take a look at Folderbox?? I think this might suit you.

10. Alex Ethridge

Yes, I did; but, unless I'm mistaken, it does not do four windows all at once.

11. RandyG

RandyG

Sorry bout that, Alex.

It has options for 5 tabs as well, but only the one extra window:(

still, not bad for a freebie!;):D(y)

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about 2xExplorer, it opens two windows, you can use two copies of it. :)

13. slipe

slipe

If you need four explorer windows open at the same time you are a prime candidate for dual monitors. It might seem like overkill, but dual monitors have many benefits.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice