1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need for details in Details Pane

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ZenAgain, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ZenAgain

ZenAgain Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 Professional x64. When I use Windows Explorer to view image files (jpg, png, etc.), I would like to see each image's dimensions listed in the Details Pane (when it's set to view the images as Icons/Thumbnails, rather than Details). However, the only details that show up in the Details Pane are Name, Type, Date Created, Date Modified, and Size. This is the case even though:

* I've checked 'Dimensions' in the 'Choose Details' options
    * The folder is already categorized/optimized for 'Pictures'
    * Other folders show the other details I want -- i.e., the Details Pane for my 'Videos' folder shows Length, Frame Width, Frame Height, and other details that I've chosen

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Just to the left of the Question mark ? in your Win. Expl. is an Icon which opens up a "Preview pane" and when you click on an Image file, at the bottom of your W.E. you will get these details.

I hope this is what you are looking for, if not, good luck
    ray

3. ZenAgain

ZenAgain Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion, but it didn't work -- still no more details about the image.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Try resizing the Details pane, grab the top edge and drag it upwards.

5. ZenAgain

ZenAgain Thread Starter

Unfortunately that doesn't work either -- the thumbnail gets larger, but still no more details.

6. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Is it something like this you are looking for?

Attached Files:

7. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Perhaps?
    Make sure, first, that you have the status bar selected in "view"
    In "Tools",- "Foledr Options", - View, make sure that the first square, "Always show..etc", is UNticked.
    You should then see the details and a picture in the status window

Attached Files:

8. ZenAgain

ZenAgain Thread Starter

Hi RaytheBear and Davehc,

Yes, that's exactly what I want to see in the Details Pane. Unfortunately, these suggestions didn't work either. Very frustrating.

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you right click one of the files then click Properties, are the dimensions shown on the Details tab?

Check US-wp4.jpg located here, should have F-stop and focal length info as well:
    C:\Windows\Globalization\MCT\MCT-US\United States

Attached Files:

10. ZenAgain

ZenAgain Thread Starter

Unfortunately no, the dimensions don't show up either when I right click, then Properties, then Details.

Interestingly, when I looked at my registry entry for JPG, did not include a Perceived Type or a Content Type entry for the JPG files. But even after I added them in, there is no change -- the dimensions still don't appear in the Details Pane when I view the folder images as icons/thumbnails.

However, on a hunch, I switched the extension on one of my images from JPG to JPEG and now the dimensions (along with several other details) now appear as they should. I then went back to the registry to duplicate all the entries under the JPEG key over to the JPG key, but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem -- still no dimensions when the image has a JPG extension.

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Check the registry at this location:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.jpg
    That should have the same entry as the .jpeg entry just above it.
    Mine both have this as the Default:
    {a38b883c-1682-497e-97b0-0a3a9e801682}

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I deleted the ...PropertyHandlers\.jpg key and can't see the dimensions. After adding that key back, you may have to log off/log on, or reboot for the functionality to be restored.

13. ZenAgain

ZenAgain Thread Starter

Great suggestion, but my registry has that entry already as well, but still no dimensions.

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Check the Wow6432Node key as well:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.jpg
    We can also re-register the dll file that handles the metadata.
    Click Start, type cmd, when cmd.exe appears in the list, right click it and click Run as administrator
    Type the following and press Enter
    regsvr32 C:\Windows\system32\PhotoMetadataHandler.dll
    You should get a popup with this message:
    DllRegisterServer in C:\Windows\system32\PhotoMetadataHandler.dll succeeded.

15. ZenAgain

ZenAgain Thread Starter

Thanks again for your suggestions but alas, the Wow6432Node entry also exists already and re-registering the DLL file didn't work. I'm completely baffled.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/965528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice