1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need for regular virus checks

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by wumply, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wumply

wumply Thread Starter

I would really appreciate input from many on this topic--because I think it's a matter of opinion to quite an extent.

Assume a computer owner has an anti-virus program with auto updates and that he has a firewall as well. Now I hear over and over that one should run a regular virus scan pretty regularly like daily or weekly or whatever.

My question is this: if a virus program is running all the time and is kept updated, what good does it do to run a regular scan? If your virus program did not catch a virus when it first hits your computer, why would it catch it when you run a regular weekly scan, say? And if it wasn't caught the first time, it would have done its damage before you could run your scan. Again why run a regular scan?

If there are are good reasons, what are they?

wumply

2. GENERIC

GENERIC

Speaking for myself, there have been times when during a full system scan a virus (etc) has been found on my computer. I update at least daily, so the only reason I could think of...maybe at the time of accessing whatever program/site had the virus, the definitions weren't as up to date as when I got around to completing a full scan? If I didn't complete this scan, when would the virus have been detected (and removed)?

I'm happier knowing with some certainty (at least weekly anyways) that I'm virus free, insofar as the definitions are concerned that is.

3. crushbone

crushbone

Good post from GENERIC! :D

4. wumply

wumply Thread Starter

Generic, I am thinking...But if your virus definitions weren't up to date at the time you accessed that program/site, would not the virus have whacked you at that moment?

5. GENERIC

GENERIC

That may be so, but I wouldn't want to compound any problem by not taking action to remove/repair infected files. Likely it would increase from being the occasional single virus found during a scan to an issue much more (system wide?) damaging...and that's something I can do without.

6. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Hi Wumply I have AVG 7 as well as SpyBot Search and Destroy , Ad-Aware SE , Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard .

Avg 7 looks for updates daily and scans daily . Spybot and Ad-Aware I use weekly after looking for updates I look for updates to the others as well .

There have been times ( rare ) when I thought something may have gone wrong and found a trojan with Housecall or Panda . All antivirus programs are not updated at the same time and so one may have a " fix " before the other. The longer you leave something on board the more damage it can do .

7. wumply

wumply Thread Starter

Hi Dust Sailor:

Appreciate your response. Perhaps you could answer a couple more about AVG 7. I tried to get to the AVG Forum but was told I had to download AVG Free Version before I could register. but I'm not quite ready--or in a position--to do that - yet anyway.)

1. Can I select the hour of the day AVG will check for updates?

2. And it is keeping a constant check for viruses in addition to its daily scans?

3. Do I specify what it is to include in the daily scans?

8. barncat

barncat

wumply; i have the new avg, 7....takes up more space than the previous one and really slows down my older computer...also, i personally liked the other one better...but, you can set all kinds of preferences, such as update times, scan schedual, and files to scan....i use manual update and scans so that it will not hijack my computer when i am trying to do something else....the control panel says that avg is checking computer so i assume that it is on...previous avg caught 2 trojans as they tried to get into computer...hope this one is able to do that.....only part of avg that operates on startup is the bios ck...i wait till i am about to go online before starting control center.....i may have to update my computer just to run "protection"
    ...gl

9. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Hi Wumply ---- YES --- To all the above :D (y)

10. wumply

wumply Thread Starter

Thanks everydfone for your input.

Dust Sailor...can't resist asking one more quick question if you should want to respond. Your user name is unusual...interesting. Dust and sailors are expected associates. I'd enjoy knowing how you came up with it. (MY user name was the name of a magician in stories my father used to tell me when I was a kid..but I've no magical powers unfortunately.)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice