1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need formatting help!!

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by deadliner, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadliner

deadliner Thread Starter

I am currently working on restoring an old Tandy 1000 RLX computer from the 80's. A friend of mine was using it basically for his kids to play on, but had a power failure and couldnt boot the system back up.

In an effort to fix things, he removed the hard drive (Seagate #ST-351A/X), installed it as a slave drive on his WIN95 system, and reformatted the drive.

The problem now comes when reinstalling the drive back into to old tandy computer. It is a 40mb hard drive, and when installed as a slave in the WIN95 system, everything runs ok (40 mb free space, no problems in scandisk). However,...when installed back in the Tandy system it is only registering as having 221k TOTAL space. This makes it impossible to reformat the drive from within the Tandy system due to it thinking there is not enough space to save the mirror file. I cant format, cant install DOS 5.0,...I cant do ANYTHING with it only believing there is 221k on the hard drive!!

Do you have any ideas or solutions as to reformatting the hard drive from within the Tandy, or anything else that will make it read the full drive?

Thank you,
    D. Rasmussen

2. Rockn

Rockn

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!