1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need good phone for VoIP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hewee, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

I got Ooma Hub that I have used about 6 years.

Have AT&T model 1854 phone now for 20 years and it is or was a great phone.
    http://www.manualguru.com/atandt/1854/users-manual
    Pass weekend I come home and see the low battery light blinking but the little screen was all mixed up looking so put in new battery but nothing changed and low battery light is still blinking. Caller ID, Speed dial, answer machine and everything else stopped working. Phone will not ring either. Display screen flashes and I see odd shapes. Could it be just a new Power plug is needed. I do not think so because I have seen it with power out. The reset button does nothing either.
    But just the phone, speaker phone, mute and hold button and the dial buttons work. A great phone other wise with great sound and if turned up loud it still sounds great.

Today I got from Costco the worse sounding phone I ever used.
    Panasonic KX-TG572SK DECT 6.0 Corded/Cordless Phone with Digital Answering System, 2 Handsets

I took base unit out of box and right away I said this is cheap. It was so light. Then I get it hooked up and the speakers on the handset and speaker phone but sound so very bad and cheap. Other person I was talking to said the same thing. Then they could hear a echo too and I used an Ooma app and made a WiFi call to myself and it was super bad with very bad echo. I talked and walked to other end of house and let the phone record the message and it was so bad sounding with a very cheap sound and echo. Just picking up the hand set you got a sound picked up moving you hand as if it was empty inside so mic sound went up to speaker in the hand set. It should have cotton in it to stop that.

Anyhow it is a junk phone that I will take back to Costco.

I made a post over at Ooma.
    Best Corded Telephone

So don't really know what to do. I have had and still do a great phone. I just have no display now.
    It was nice to see what phone number you dial and still see it after it rings or you need to redial because you miss dial but you could look to see what you had just dial because it was right there showing. That new phone you had to press caller ID and then pick from calls going out or coming in.
    Why is everything now days that is new and improved worse and you got to press button after button going thru an menu. That new phone has pages of codes to do this and that and so many that your never remember them. Old phone is so easy to use and I would but it again if I could. It was $80.00 or more in 1995 and worth it.

Love to get another great phone and with easy to use menu. Mine has more buttons but it is so much more easy to use because you don't have a long maze clicking from menu to menu and I do not want that.

Now I understand with answer machine I got even less to pick from and I may have to do that. I would still have Ooma that I could have a message taken and I would never lose them because I can save them and back them up.

Also maybe a two line phone I could get even if I only use one line. I just want a good phone that is easy to use without press all over all the time.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There really isn't anything special about using a POTS type phone with a VoIP gateway like Ooma. You just have purchase a quality phone. I've typically had pretty good luck with Uniden phones.

3. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Yes my main point is a quality phone. Have not gone to office stores yet so got them to look at in hope I can see them out in the open and not boxed up.
    Never had an Uniden phone.
    Called Staples and they said they have corded phones and some cost more and some are two lines. Would not hurt to have 2nd line even if I don't use it as long as I get a good phone. Some may have plug for headset that would be nice and even better if you can use the jack and hook it to the computer to record the messages you like to keep.

I know there are so many cheaper phones because it seem like every year or two my dad was getting a new phone and I could not under stand why because mine keep working. If you do get some trouble check the cords because they are the weak points in the phone that I wish I could hard wire. I get 25 foot line from base to handset so your not pulling the cord at the ends and I have done good all these years.

4. Rockn

Rockn

I thought you wanted a VOIP phone? Why not get a full fledged IP phone like a Snom or Yealink

5. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

I don't know anything about phones so will take what ever phone works as long as it is a good phone.

Those two brand look like good phones.

Right now I am not even looking till after the new year because I do not need to fight my way around town so will just wait and look online and try to find out more.

Like those phone do many things that I don't even know what they are talking about. HD sound is one thing I would love and HD speaker phone when I can hear from other side of room and talk where other could hear me good too would be great. You know like we are both in the same room. I have at times talked on the phone calling a business and wow you can really tell when they have a good phone and some you know they are a speaker or headset so you can tell how great a good phone is.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

My understanding of how Ooma works and having set one up for my mother, you can't use any of the phones suggested by Rockn. They're full fledged IP phones which require a call manager system to run them using the SIP protocol. Your Ooma box converts their VoIP protocol over to an analog signal used by POTS phones. In essence, the Ooma box is a VoIP gateway with a FXO port. You'll have to use a standard analog POTS phone.

7. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Thanks zx10guy.

I did not know that. So now it will be more easy to find a phone. A standard analog phone is what I got now. Just a standard analog should e a Good standard analog and not the junk ones.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice