1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need hacker

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by aewarnick, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aewarnick

aewarnick Thread Starter

I am trying to install an operating system on my computer but I need to edit the bios first.

The computer was given to me and there is a problem. To edit the bios I need a password. . .What should I do?

The drive is alread formatted.

2. deuce

deuce

Did you try unpluging and taking out the cmos battery for awhile? There are capacitors on the motherboard so I don't know how much energy the cmos stores..............but one would think if you deprive it of power long enough there will be no way to continue to store the password. Or possibly even easier....have you contacted the person who gave you the computer and asked if they would tell you the password?

3. aewarnick

aewarnick Thread Starter

He got it out of a trash can. I am downloading software right now to hack it. I will post back with what worked.

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

No need for software.
    As Deuce mentioned, open up the case, pop out the CMOS battery, wait about 3 minutes, put it back in, and there ya go.

5. aewarnick

aewarnick Thread Starter

A tiny program called killcmos did the job! There is no password set now.

6. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

oh my - what a utility this is

Although I will probably use this sometime :D ... a true reminder that nothing is ever private and to always ensure your hard drive is truly wiped before you get rid of it

I used to depend on this setting when I was offsite - now what can I do to prevent snoopers from getting into my machine?

:eek:
    MDM

7. aewarnick

aewarnick Thread Starter

There is a good program called hidefolders you could get. It completely hides folders! The only way I found to access them is the way you are supposed to: A set of hot keys. You can even hide the uninstall info.

8. codenamebip

codenamebip

Hey, I got a simple program to take care of a !!VERY SIMPLE!! problem.

Its called take out the cmos battery (as several other intelligent poeple stated) or set the cmos jumper to on so that it sets the cmos to factory default settings and gets rid of the password.

It makes me wonder if the guy even read what people posted on how to fix this problem. It seems to me that he asked everyone how he was supposed to fix it, but really wanted to do it the way he wanted. Whats the point of asking a question if you aren't going to listen to what people say????????????

9. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

uh ... well, he did me a favour by alerting me to a program that I did not know about (killcmos)... greater knowledge for me anyway - especially because I am not comfortable with taking the casing off ... (may be simple for you, but not so simple for me to dive in there!)
    Not sure why you are ticked codenamebip - I now have two options when this issue comes up & I'll try the s/w first - and he came back to the thread to advise his results.
    ... but I must say - I can't stand the word hack

:p
    cheers
    MDM

10. john1

john1

If its a laptop,
    i would rather use 'Killcmos'
    than open it up.

John

11. Rockn

Rockn

Must have had to dig deep to resurrect this one from a 2 month archival!!

12. aewarnick

aewarnick Thread Starter

codenamebip, I did not want to pick up that heavy old computer, root around my house for a screwdriver, waste the time pulling that case off, putting the computer back where it was, plugging all the wires back in. . .

It was much more simple taking the risk of erasing my hard drive on a comuter with only 1 megabite on it with a little program I found than it was to do the above.

But in taking the risk, the results were profitable!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice