1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need hard drive replacement help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poysnfrog, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poysnfrog

poysnfrog Thread Starter

I received a SMART error, warning me to change my hard drive a failure may be imminent. So I need to change my hard drive and need some info.
    I have a HP Pavilion 6460 system, running windows 98.
    My current hard drive is: Quantam Bigfoot TS9.6A (pm)
    Secondary master: CD-532E-B-(sm)
    Install Memory: 96mb
    Memory Bank 0: 64 mb SDRAM
    memory Bank 1: 32 mb SDRam
    Legacy Diskette A: 1.44 mb 3 1/2

According to HP support I need to purchase a drive with the same or more and I would like some opinions on what drive to purchase...what drive will work ie: # of pins etc. What is the best for the money etc. Thanks allot!!!!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Way too subjective, but you need to find out if your BIOS will support the larger drives that are currently on the market. I personally like Western Digital.

3. kramnnim

kramnnim

Any 3.5 inch hard drive should work, the one problem you might have is that your bios might not recognize the new drive's total capacity- if you have that problem, you might need to update your bios. (Some older PC's will not recognize over 30-odd GB)

Look for a 7,200 rpm drive, and preferably one with an 8MB cache. Western Digital makes a popular 80GB drive with those specs. Check your local stores' weekly flyers, or check places like techbargains.com or dealnews.com. Or if you want to buy online, newegg.com sounds like a pretty good place to buy from.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Wondering if you have tried the Quantum((Maxtor)) software to diagnose this drive? Not too likely, but it may be under warranty- there is usually a diagnostic you can download that will give you an error code....that you use to get an RMA number, if still under warranty (most were for 3 full years up till recently) they might replace it for you for just shipping cost, I have sent some in this way. Maxtor has two methods....return drive first, get new one, or get new one first, copy stuff, 30 days to send your old one in. Dont know about your make. At least, by running the diagnostic, you would know if SMART is lying or not....

Worth looking? Maxtor acquired Quantum hard disk business....:
    main support page
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/contact/
    To find your present drive specs:::
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/products/ata/legacy/bigfoot_ts/index.htm
    And, serial number and other data you have to provide, where to find this:http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=743

The diagnostic tool you need to test it with:http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=590

Also, here is HP page for hard drive replacement, under warranty and without. Just stuff about backups, how tos, etc.http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph05701.html

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Here are some useful links.

HP 6460 BIOS Upgrade

HP 6460 Motherboard Layout

Taking the PC Apart

HP 6460 Product Specs

Your PC looks a bit old and may not currently support hard drives above 32Gb. The BIOS upgrade should hopefully solve the problem. Although I can't gaurantee it because the actual page doesn't have any description of what the upgrade fixes.

If you don't want to go through the BIOS upgrade, just get a 20Gb harddrive and you should be fine. IDE ATA100, 7200rpm if you can find one. 5400rpm will do too if it's big price difference.

www.newegg.com has this one for $68 w free shipping.
    MAXTOR 20GB 7200RPM Model # 6E020L0 OEM, DRIVE ONLY
    Specifications:
    Size: 20 Gigabytes
    Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
    Seek time: 10ms
    RPM:7200
    Data Transfer: 133MB/sec

You'll probably need a new ATA 133/100/66 IDE cable as well. $3-6.

Good luck.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That BIOS referred to is:

"This BIOS update creates a BIOS Flash Utility. This BIOS version is 1.14 dated 6/16/99."

I really doubt that will support drives larger than 32gig, of course there's always the drive partitioning software. FWIW, the fix for large drives came along with AWARD in late 1999, and I've never known the major makers to beat the folks like AWARD to the punch with BIOS capabilities. :rolleyes: However, the 20gig drive referred to in the previous post should drop right in. FWIW, unless the system supports ATA-66 or faster, the old cable will be sufficient. Even at ATA-133, the new drive will seem a whole lot faster than that old Bigfoot, those were PIGS!

:rolleyes:

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

johnwill--hee hee 4000rpm vroooooooooom

8. buckaroo

buckaroo

What the heck, you already got a ton of good advice here, let me just pile a little bit more on.......:)

The sweet spot for getting your money's worth for HD's is 40 or 60GB. For the same $$ spent on that 20GB drive, you can get a 40 or 60GB. Even though your BIOS is likely limited to 32GB, any of the larger drives comes with software, called a BIOS overlay, that'll enable your system to utilize the larger drive.

just my 2 cents. :cool:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice