1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help 1 long beep 3 short beeps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ImStormy, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

This post is going to involve 2 PCs, which I will refer to as PC 1 and PC 2. They are identical except for their graphics card and power supply. They both have ASUS P5E Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00GHz, 3.25 RAM, running windows XP.

PC 1 ( gforce 8800gt card and a 500 watt power supply )

The LG monitor went off and never came back on. My sister had an old vga Mitsubishi diamond plus 91. I didn't have the funds yet to buy a new one so I hooked that up and everything was fine for about a week or two. Then the monitor shuts off and goes into power saving mode. I assume power supply and it sits waiting for a new one.

PC 2 ( gforce 9800gtx card and a 700 watt power supply )

The LG monitor went off and never came back on. I take the Mitsubishi from PC 1 and a week later, the monitor shuts off and goes into power saving mode. I assumed the monitor finally died and went out and bought a new acer flat screen. I hooked it up and when I booted up I heard 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. The monitor went into power saving mode. I then researched and found that beeping code to be an Award Bios error saying the graphic card was bad. I pulled the card from PC 1 and upon boot up I heard 1 long beep and 3 short beeps.

As I read this back to myself, I am seeing and feeling sick at the thought of....did I fry 2 graphic cards by using that old vga? They are both lifetime warrantied but it means both PCs down for as long as it takes to RMA them. :( I am currently on my laptop, but my world is on both those pc's.

I am hoping you can help me put together at least 1 PC and not tell me I need a new motherboard lol ;). Let me know what it is you need to know. I appreciate any input.

2. PCTechnican

PCTechnican

if the monitor is not coming on its not the graphics card as it will still operate sounds to me to be a RAM problem. you need to jus check that it it inserted into the port properly that's all I can say with the info you gave as POST beeps differ with the motherboard chipset I would need to know what motherboard's you was using to determine the POST error

3. PCTechnican

PCTechnican

is the pc its self booting up and staying on? if so its not the power. you really need to check your RAM

4. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

Here is an update. I found the gforce 8500 that came with my pc originally and put it in and it worked. Its been a couple hours and now the new 24" Acer flat screen went into power saver mode. Showing a "No Signal".

The Motherboard for both is Asus P5E

Would the RAM be the same for the other pc? What are the odds?

5. PCTechnican

PCTechnican

well it indeed is a problem with the graphics card as 1 long + 3 short = No video card or bad video RAM. it sounds like it could be the monitor what's caused the problem if its happened to 2 pc connected to the same monitor.

6. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Post the EXACT specs of your PSU for both machines please.

As advised above please also chk your RAM with MemTest86+ letit run for ATLEAST 7 passes

On PC 2 you state 700 watt PSU..well I konw that the 9800GTX+ is a BEFFY power hungry GPU so if you have a crappy "700 watt" psu its likely its not getting enough juice and MIGHT be casuing problems

7. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

I am running memtest now. Where will it put the results? I am hoping the monitor or issue lets it complete and not shut it down like its been doing. so run this test 7 x?

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    yes preferably run it overnight as it will take SEVERAL hours to complete. It will tell you a simple pass or fail

9. ImStormy

ImStormy Thread Starter

The result was 7 passes and zero errors. So I am completely lost. Do I have 2 dead cards and 2 failing power supplies? Where it stands right now is I can boot up and after a few minutes the monitor powers down. The pc stays running.

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I would go with a PSU or GPU failure...the only way to test for sure is to swap in KNOWN working parts.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice