1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help/advice with reinstalling Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cuz789, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cuz789

cuz789 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 511 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA RIVA TNT Model 64 (Sony), 32 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 15970 MB, Free - 4485 MB; D: Total - 62157 MB, Free - 45980 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P4B-LX
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to fix my old computer, maybe upgrade it a bit or at least trying to figure out what my best options with it are.

Now first I must say that this computer is really primitive and at the moment I can't afford to buy a new modern PC, but I do know that this computer will meet my needs as its going to replace an even older eMachines computer with almost identical specs except for a weaker 1.5ghz processor and a smaller HDD.

The computer is a 12 (million) year old Sony Vaio RX570. The computer is stock with a Pentium 4 1.8ghz processor, 512mb of RAM, 4x AGP 3D graphics hardware acceleration NVIDIA TNT2 M64, 32mb video memory, Windows XP Home 32bit, 80gb between the two HDD's in it (C:/20gb and D:/60gb), there are 2 disk drives, 1 DVD disk drive and 1 cd-r drive. I don't know if it matters it has Service Pack 3 on it.

Now obviously I don't need to know much about computers to know that probably one of the first things I should do is add another 512mb of RAM. (I remember reading somewhere that the motherboard on this computer can take maximum of 512mb of RAM per slot and there's one available so i guess that's the most I can add)

Now other than that, I'm kinda stuck with what to do next.

I've recently took this computer apart to remove all the dust from the inside, removed a lot of old viruses (had a hard time with something called JS:ADODB-BM, but a boot time scan got rid of it), spyware and such from the computer (wasn't using this computer since 2005). I've used Avast, CCleaner, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware, had to register some dll files for the cryptographic services to work. I've did all the updates to date on it, but I'm still having some issues such as when I try to run MS Fixit it gives me error 80072f8f, yet the date and time are correct. The startup menu in msconfig (which wouldn't work from run until I manually added it to the registry, probably an after effect of a virus or something) has a lot of stuff on it that I'm not sure how to get rid of, like for example there's some nerocheck and I don't have any Nero software on this computer, there's also stuff there I have no idea about like ctfmon, zlclient, ypager, qttask, tgcmd. Also I have to push the eject button about a 100 times to get the CD-R drive to open, the DVD drive refuses to open period. Overall this computer seems to be virus, spyware and malware free but its still running incredibly slower than it should. So I'm thinking a clean reinstall of Windows will fix it all for me, as I don't care for any data on this computer.

The thing is, I no longer have the recovery cd's for this computer, nor did it come with a windows cd. But I have read online that computers that don't come with the Windows cd can make their own from the I386 folder or something like that. There is a sticker with the Windows serial number on the back of the computer. So I was wondering if anyone can guide me in creating this cd or point me in the right direction at least.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about computers and electronics, but I have some basic knowledge. So any help and advice on what is the best thing to do for me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot on advance.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Looks like you have a well traveled old PC here. On the older ones like that that haven't been used for awhile, safe to say there will be older software, too. That could mean alot of updates to drivers and so on whether you are required to stick with the current installation of XP or find a way to reinstall.

On reinstall, I am not aware of a way to reinstall Windows without a factory installation disk from Microsoft. I do recall reading some very deep stuff about that many years ago, but, as I remember it wasn't for novices, and I'm not even sure I ever believed anyone was doing it whatever it was. I wish I could be of more help there, but if you were interested in bringing the current version up to date and in good working order. I will be glad to try to help.

Some questions:
    1. I seem to be getting that the system is booting, yes? The anti-virus fixes you have run would indicate so
    2. Which is your master HD...C or D? You have about 20 GB on the C drive. If that's your OS installation drive, XP requires about 10 GB with ALL the updates, which are very important
    3. Is this installation of XP up to date with updates? I see you have SP3. That's good, but it would help to have them all
    4. How soon can you get that 512 MB stick LOL? I hooked my father up with a similar PC several years back. Seriously, we got him a gig of RAM, and it was way way better.
    5. Are you prepared for a battle to find drivers? Might not be easy for your older parts.
    6. Do you have IE8? If not, that's a good place to start. Compatibility is not good for prior versions of IE.
    7. Have you checked in Device Manager to see which of your devices may be non-functional at present? A trip to device manager could help some to identify what needs updating. Right click My Computer->select Manage->select Device Manager->look for yellow question marks or red xs next to devices and write them down or Notepad them...
    8. Did you run full blown CCleaner? I would uncheck the registry cleaner since you don't have a disk to run an XP repair. Actually, I think I would stick to just cleaning the temporary internet files, until you have an XP disk. Heck, I have one, and that's all I do with CCleaner basically.

You're up and running. That's encouraging and a good place to start. You have add/remove in Control Panel to help you get rid of unwanted programs and Control Panel and updates to get the system where you want it.

One thing...on my father's old PC I installed Process Lasso and GBoost (gamebooster software). I use them at all times on my core2duo to boost the Windows runtime optimization. These are seriously great programs, and they really transformed my father's old PC (they do it for mine too). Running both will get rid of all the chops and spikes associated with the performance of an older machine...and they are very good on resources at less than 1% each on my machine...

3. cuz789

cuz789 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks a lot for your help.

1. I seem to be getting that the system is booting, yes?
    -Yup, no problems with it booting other than it runs really slow, sometimes I gotta restart it as soon as I start it up, it seems to help.

2. Which is your master HD...C or D?
    -The master HD is C

3. Is this installation of XP up to date with updates?
    -Yup, I even had to restart yesterday because of some new updates. But it took me a while to get the Windows Update working but i got it to work about a week ago and did 6+ years of catching up on the updates.

4. How soon can you get that 512 MB stick LOL?
    -Funny story, I was able to get a XP Pro disk (I'll get to that in a bit) and a 256mb RAM chip from a friend, only to find out that my PC has 2 256mb chips already, so I would need to buy (or find lol) 2 512mb chips, and i won't be able to get then until mid next week.

5. Are you prepared for a battle to find drivers? Might not be easy for your older parts.
    -No lol, but seriously though if that's what I must do to get this computer working, I'll fight the war.

6. Do you have IE8?
    -Yes, was also a headache to upgrade from IE5, it kept crashing and giving me error codes. Surprisingly what worked was doing an offline update of Java (online update of Java was crashing)

7. Have you checked in Device Manager to see which of your devices may be non-functional at present? A trip to device manager could help some to identify what needs updating. Right click My Computer->select Manage->select Device Manager->look for yellow question marks or red xs next to devices and write them down or Notepad them...
    -Did not see any yellow question marks or red X's anywhere, I expanded all the categories and checked.

8. Did you run full blown CCleaner?
    -Yup, I did.
    8. Continued - I would uncheck the registry cleaner since you don't have a disk to run an XP repair. Actually, I think I would stick to just cleaning the temporary internet files, until you have an XP disk.
    -Uh-oh here, I did run the registry cleaner and pretty much every cleaner that CCleaner does.

Now onto this Windows XP Pro CD, it says right on cd that it includes sp2 on it so I'm guessing its old but I got it still sealed with the cardboard, the booklet and the cd key sticker, the guy that gave it to me told me it was never before used. So I'm thinking might completely reinstalling this XP Pro over my XP Home work? Like I said I don't care about any software or files on this computer so a clean Windows would be good I think.

Another possible option is I can get my brothers old computer, its a Sony Vaio VGC-RB52. I looked up some of its specs and its Pentium D Processor 820 Dual Core 2.80GHz, 1gb RAM (expandable to 2gb), Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, 64bit Windows XP Home. From what i understand this computer is also old, probably full of virus/spyware/malware issues, hasn't been updated in about 2 years and too doesn't have any recovery or Windows disk. I'm going to take a guess and assume its SP3 based on it last being updated around 2 years ago, I believe SP3 was out by then.

So what im thinking is (if possible) completely wipe the other computers system with the Win XP Pro that i have, make it kind of like a brand new computer, and do all the repairs that you can help me with this PC that I'm working with now. Would that work? Thanks again.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

cuz789...looks like you're goona be havin some fun around your house for a little while. Old PCs are fun to work with.

About CCleaner. If it works for you fine, but I find that if you test programs or install and remove a large number of them, Windows can become dependent on files that are removed by CCleaner...things like .log files and so on can be important. The registry...idk what to say about that. I'd like for there to be an answer, but then again I'm sort of content for now with Comodo System Utilities. It has levels of cleaning, and work on the progam is steady. Just seems that removing 500 of 500,000 registry keys isn't going to make much difference, and just like with .log files and .dlls, systems can become dependent on them. So I wait until I'm going to bust over the issue and run CSU on the low setting and live with the results. I do back up the registry first, so...

I didn't believe it was possible until now, but I found a link that says you can "Repair" MS Windows XP Home with and XP Professional disk. Here's that:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7365413_repair-home-xp-pro-disc.html

Here's a Geeks to Go forum with some good info but mildly varying claims:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/215908-xp-pro-disc-to-repair-xp-home/

This Google search seemed to turn up a good bit of info:

can i repair xp home with xp professional disk

On the SPs (SP2, etc.) I think it's actually good to start with SP2 for now. It alone won't jump start Windows Updates, so an installation of SP3 will be needed from the internet (it's a support issue). However, SP3 kind of expects SP2 to be there I think. I think the installation will run better or at least seems to have for me.

So for your plan...if XP Pro will "Repair" over Home, your plan should work perfectly.

BTW...since I guess you plan to use these old birds, try running Process Lasso and GBoost (game boost software). These are straight optimizers, and they are both free. GBoost can be configured any way you like, and Lasso has a gaming mode. I leave both of them on at all times on this core2duo machine and performance is much better using them. I put them on my father's old Compaq 1.7 GHz P4, 1 GB and I couldn't believe how much smoother things were. Gets rid of all the really annoying things about an older PC. MS' run time optimization must be the same one that was in Win 95...it's so slow to adapt to usage tendencies. These will give you another level of optimization and really boost the Windows optimization process too...

Good luck with this project. If you need anything, please just ask, and I'll try to come up with something LOL...

5. cuz789

cuz789 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your help, but I'm going to sidetrack my self from this project for now.

I got my brothers Vaio RB52, the specs are pretty much what i said above except its Windows XP Media Center Edition 32bit (which is weird to me because I looked up the processor and its one of the first Intel 64bit processor, why would Sony use it with 32bit software and a motherboard which only supports 2gb of RAM even though I read that you can get up to 3.2gb on it with 4 1gb in each slot). This computer has vaio recovery software so as soon as I get 2 DVD-R's later today I'll be able to restore it to factory condition, get it up to date with updates and (if necessary) drivers, order some more RAM and I think I'll be good to go.

With the old RX570, I figure sometime soon I'll get 2 512mb RAM for it and try to reinstall the windows and make it XP Pro over the Home that's on it (since I have that brand new XP Pro cd and key code now).I'm sure I'll be back here with a bunch of more (hopefully not stupid) questions lol. So once again thanks a lot for all your help.

6. AtlBo

AtlBo

NP...have fun with the Vaio.

Sounds like an interesting machine to work on. I guess early could be there were concerns about software compatibilities for 64 bit so the 32 bit...like you can always upgrade software/RAM later type thing. I guess that would be an early Pentium 4? If the machine is the age I'm thinking like 2001-2002, 2-4 GB would make sense. XP would only recognize 3.5 anyway...

Wikipedia on IA-64 (Itanium Processor)...
    "Only a few thousand systems using the original Merced Itanium processor were sold, due to relatively poor performance, high cost and limited software availability.[34] Recognizing that the lack of software could be a serious problem for the future, Intel made thousands of these early systems available to independent software vendors (ISVs) to stimulate development. HP and Intel brought the next-generation Itanium 2 processor to market a year later."

Sounds interesting in spite of the performance part...

Test results are always great on old machines, so if you have time, please let us know how everything is going with all this. If you have any questions down the road, ask away...

7. cuz789

cuz789 Thread Starter

The sticker on the RB52 says manufactured 10/2005

The processor in it is Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8Ghz, but I guess that makes sense since its one of the early ones it could've had trouble with some of the x64 stuff. The motherboard In it is Intel D945ppr.

So once i do the system restore and the updates I'm going to do the RAM upgrade on it, just have to figure out what would be best, it has 4 RAM slots, according to the crucial website it says I can add 2 more 512mb and max out at 2gb, but then I read this...

http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/memory-slots-208912.html

And it confused me. So I'm going to need to figure out this RAM thing next week.

The old RX570 which I initially posted about is from somewhere 2001-2002, but from what i understand everything is 32bit there, but like I said I'm putting that project on hold for now to focus on the newer more powerful RB52.

Thanks a lot again!

8. AtlBo

AtlBo

You are welcome...

Post #9 would have me clamoring to try 4 gigs. Could it be a heat issue that caused Sony to say something else? IDK, Then too, it could have something to do with the Windows XP only recognizes 3.5 GB of RAM thing. This is totally true, but I have 4 in this XP machine, and I wouldn't want to try to go with 3.

I say if you can go for the 4 GB setup, go for it...

Fun project...

:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice