1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Again: Purpose of Alternate Power Connector?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCM1519, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I am almost done assembling my first computer build and there is a header on the motherboard for "Alternate Power Connector'.

It looks like a regular socket for a power connector (4 pin) and I was wondering if I should connect power to this or if it is there for another purpose?

I am using an Intel D975XBX motherboard, Intel Pentium D Dual Core Processor (940), a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 510 Express/SLI power supply, and an ASUS EN7600GS Silent Video card with 512 mb memory.

The only other remaining issues are few. I cannot find pins for a "speaker" line from the system panel (I found the speaker but no four pin header), need an extension for a cord that is too short (USB 2.0 from the Intel front panel, and that is about it.

I can live without the system speaker and the front panel (Intel) USB 2.0. Figure I can buy another brand of front panel containing audio, usb, and EEE-1394 if I cannot find a short extension.

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Many Intel boards do not have a header for a speaker, they have one built onto the motherboard. On yours there should be a speaker right between the two rows of black SATA connectors, its the little round shaped thing.

Its wierd that the USB wires don't rerach, the header you trying to connect to is right near the bottom inside corner of the motherboard near where the SATA connectors. The locations shoudl be marked USB on the motherbaord and will be outlined in the motherbaord manual.

The 1 x 4 auxiliary power connector is used when you have a video card that requires more then 75 watts of power or both PCI-Express X16 slots. There should be a total of 3 power connections on the motherboard, and they should all be plugged in.

3. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Triple6

Thanks for the response. It was very helpful.

I am using a very large Chenming case (901 series). It is a very nice case and most things have worked OK except for the length of cables. This is the only cable that I cannot deal with.

I found the speaker but there is no connector located nearby that I can see. Must be built into the motherboard.

That USB 2.0 cable is shorter than the other two cables from the Intel Front Panel. The other two cables reached that area easily.

Cannot figure out why Intel did not make this on the same length as the other two cables in the bundle because all the headers are close together in the same area.

After searching the net, it looks like I will have to either make a 3-4 inch extension or get another front panel with longer cables.

My video card is an Asus EN7600GS Silent model so I will have to look up the power requirements. The box and brief instructions do not mention power requirements but do say to "connect a 4-pin 5V/12/V power plug from the power supply if your card has an auxiliary power connector". I will go to their website to see if it is given there.

Maybe I should just connect a power cable to this header and then it will be handled for sure.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The speaker IS built into the motherboard, its that black round object between the two rows of black SATA connectors.

It's not Intel fault the cables ar etoo short, its Chenming's.

The 7600GX has reasonable low power requirements but you can connect the auxiliary connector anyhow.

5. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Triple6

Thanks again for your help. I went ahead and connected that power cord to the auxiliary power header.

I know that the large case is the cause of that cable being short but I thought it odd that they would make a device with 3 cables all going to one place on the motherboard and yet leave one of them 3-4 inches shorter than the other two.

One last question. I have used 3 or 4 ties for my cables but had second thoughts about it. They are the type commonly used for a lot of things and basically are wire with a paper wrap. My thought was that they might short something out.

I have some very long plastic zip ties and am going to change these all out but I thought that the answer to this question would be good for me and anyone else reading this posting.

Thanks again. I am about ready to power it up.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The zip ties are indeed a better choice, I usually cut off the excess lengths to avoid clutter.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice