Need help and information for home network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

logik927

alritey, so as you might already know from my previous thread my old linksys router crapped out. so tonight at about 1 am i decided that since i was already at wally*mart taking back a wireless security camera i picked up just for fun, i was going to buy a new router. they had some pretty decent looking ones for what seemed like reasonable prices. the only ones they had were linksys and belkin, and all of them were 802.11 g. but both brands also has a '125 high-speed mode' which supposedly runs 35% faster than normal 54g or something else. it all sounded like a load of bs, but whatever, i just got 80 bucks back, so why not? it came to about 75 dollars so oh well. all that runs through it though are two laptops with wireless pcmcia cards and two xboxs that are wired strait to the router. one of the wireless cards is an 'instant wireless pc card' and the other is an 802.11b wireless pc card. what im wondering is: does the diff between the b and g router affect the wireless ONLY, or does it also have a difference for the wired as well? and does the 125 high-speed have a difference for the wired also? after checking out the box and some of the settings for the router i realized that the 125 highspeed only made a difference between the 125 router and a 125 wireless card. or at least thats what i have come to understand. wow, im such a babbler. i just babbled a whole effin pointless story. oh well. thanks for any help, and thanks for reading my poorly narrarated story lol. :D

The simple way to explain this is to use the phrase speed! 802.11g is faster than 802.11b. 802.11g transfers files at 54mbps and 802.11b is at 11mbps. Now 802.11g is backwards compatable with 802.11b so your laptops should work just fine, but in all reality, your not using the full potential of your routers capabilities. As far as the x-box's they are hard wired you said so they naturally have no effect on the wireless side at all. I hope this helps!! I would reccomend upgrading your pcmcia cards if possible to 802.11g cards

TerryNet

Terry
The '125 high-speed mode' only affects the wireless, and only if there is a suitable device on the other end. I have read that the speedup sometimes causes problems.

Likewise, 'b' and 'g' have nothing to do with the wired part of your network.

For "normal" web surfing you'll probably be satisfied with the laptops as they are, but as Kubo64 said, get "g" if you need to get new adaptors.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts