1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help and lots of it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HammerHeadCJG, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HammerHeadCJG

HammerHeadCJG Thread Starter

My comp is shot to hell.......First all of a sudden it wouldn't let me get online cuz it said the modems driver wasn't installed, I still haven't fixed that, but here's the new bigger problem.......A message comes up saying there is no mouse plugged in, and there is............what's the deal?

2. rhettman5

rhettman5

#1 go here : http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    run the free virus scan ...follow instructions if it finds problems, if not...

#2 restart to dos
    at the c:/ prompt type in "scanreg /restore" w/o the quotes, note the space before the / ...hit enter

select a date prior to the problem, select enter

post back results...Rhett

WAIT A Minute !! since you have no modem, you aren't posting from the affected machine, so #1 won't work !! try #2 and post back..if your mouse isn't working, you can navigate by using tab and the arrow keys to get to dos !

3. HammerHeadCJG

ok I tried that, and it might have worked, but none of the dates it gave me were before the mouse was messed up........any other ideas?? Thanks for the first advice though, greatly appreciated

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi HammerHeadCJG

Have you tried a different mouse? What kind of mouse is it (USB,PS2, or Serial) You might also try booting up in safe mode to see if the mouse works there.

5. HammerHeadCJG

well I think it's a serial port......I have tried a different mouse. It has like an adapter on it, and the adapter is in the shape of a trapezoid with little prongs coming out from it.......I haven't tried a new adapter yet, so that could be the problem, but I'm exploring all other possibilities in case.

6. rhettman5

rhettman5

Well, lets try this !:)

using your tab key, the enter key. and the arrow keys navigate to "my computer" "control panel" "system" "Device manager" "mouse" open, your mouse should be listed. highlite it and click enter, is it working properly(according to windows ) ? If so, your mouse nay be defective, or you may need to reinstall the drivers if it is a aftermarket item, again, post back with results !

It's a pain to navigate with the tab button, but you will catch on, good luck...Rhett

7. HammerHeadCJG

been in there a couple times already.........there is no mouse listing in the device manager

8. rhettman5

rhettman5

do you have the driver disc, or did the mouse come with the system, this sounds a little fishy, do you have a up to date Virus scan ??...Rhett

9. HammerHeadCJG

no I don't have the driver for the mouse, it came with the system. I have Norton Antivirus on it. It doesn't just sound fishy it IS fishy, it sucks.

10. rhettman5

rhettman5

I asume there is no Modem detected either ?

Do you have the windows disc ? or do you have just a restore disc, what os are you using ? This is slowly getting outta my league, but don't despair, others here will pick it up and help you, but they will want to know the answers to the previous questions ! ...Rhett

11. HammerHeadCJG

I think I may have both the original disk and and the restore disk, I'm not positive. I'm using Windows 98, but the thing is it actually does list the modem. It says the driver needs to be installed, but it's listed there

12. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If it says the mouse isn't plugged in and there is no mouse present in Device Manager, I would look at the connection to be sure nothing was bent.
    The Modem too? What operating system is this?
    What kind of a Modem and system specs please. Make , model, RAM CPU Motherboard.

In device manager you cannot open any of the branches without a mouse. You have to click inside the window to get focus. I have tried it before to help someone else. Ii have shortcuts and keyboards to get into device manager, but not to expand any of the branches.

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Mo, just an FYI......

You can expand the branches by using the right arrow key..... :)

14. HammerHeadCJG

I'm running Windows 98. It's a Logicode modem, and I have no idea what make, model, RAM, motherboard, sorry

15. crabman

crabman Guest

try goig into safe mode and see if your mouse reappears if it does you have a virus if it dosent maybe your mouse port or your mouse is bad.while your in safe mode or even in regular remove your modem from the device manager and reboot:p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice