1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help/avice on installing new hard drive and operating system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarrinSav, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarrinSav

DarrinSav Thread Starter

Well my hard drive finally died and I need to replace it. I have never done anything like this so I'm kind of nervous about doing this. I was running a raid 0 configuration before but this time I'm only going with a single 500 gig hard drive. The guy that built it for me no longer lives in my state so he can't help me. I have found a sata hard drive and a oem operating system for around $150.00, can someone help me out with advice on installing the hard drive and the operating system, TY

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it's a SATA, then all you need do is pull the old and connect the new.

Boot from the Vista or 7 DVD and follow the prompts to install.

It is really not hard to do.

(Dropping the RAID is a good move. Probably no benefit for most users.)

3. DarrinSav

DarrinSav Thread Starter

thank you for your reply, My next question do I need to change any settings in the bios concerning the raid or will it be gone when I pull the old hard drives out.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might want to look at BIOS. It is possible that the parameters for the current drives were entered manually. If that is so, you might want to change it to "auto" so that the drive is redetected on boot. That way, you can use any drive without any further changes.

It is hard to know what may be in the BIOS since they vary so much, so it wouldn't hurt to check and come back if there is something there that is not obvious.

How was the RAID set up? Chances are that it was "software RAID" set up in Windows and not the hardware, so no BIOS changes are really expected.

BUT, if you just stick in the new drive and boot up the DVD and it starts to install, then you are probably golden and nothing else needs to be done. :D

PS. Not XP, right?

5. DarrinSav

DarrinSav Thread Starter

ty so much for your help, last thing is I'm not sure what you mean by PS. Not XP, right?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have XP, the whole thing becomes more difficult since XP is so old that it does not support SATA drives natively. If you have Vista or 7, then there is no problem.

7. DarrinSav

DarrinSav Thread Starter

I had XP on the drives that went out, But on the new drive I will be putting 7 on it.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That will work fine. The 7 installer has drivers for SATA drives, so all you need to do is boot from the DVD.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice