Need Help big time....Blue Screen of Death!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BillHates

Recently my dad's computer has been acting weird. When he tried to turn it on. Nothing would move. I just unplugged it and everything worked fine. It was weird because it had never done that before. So a few days pass. It did it a second and third time. Now we get to today (he was in the middle of sending e-mails, he says things started to slow down and he had to restart the computer that's where it all started) and he gets the normal information boot screen...the windows xp logo. Then a blank screen followed by a few second flash of a blue screen with an error message.

Now whenever you turn it on you go to the safe modes and normal start screen it has a counter that counts down from 30sec.

Now the message doesn't stay on the screen so I couldn't read what it says. I took a video of it to see if I could read it but it came out fuzzy but here is what I think it says...

Stop: _________ _______ _________ Failure).
the registry cannot load the _____ (file):
(some file name)
or ____ log or alternate
It is corrupt, damage, or not writable.

__________ dump of physical memory
Physcial memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or techincal support group for further _________.

So what is wrong? Why is it doing this? Can it be fixed? Also we lost our Windows XP boot disk and installation disk. Is there a way to download it from the microsoft website?

I think this describes your issue perfectly: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

I don't think you'll be able to fix it without a windows cd though.

To read the BSoD, go to Control panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery settings. Uncheck "automatically restart".

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
If you are able to log onto the PC look in C:\Windows\Minidump for files with a DMP extension. Zip 4-5 of the most recent ones and post here as a ZIP or RAR attachment. The crash dump logs will give us a clue what the blue screen error was and what caused it.

BillHates

How do I go about doing that?

The thing won't let me even enter in safe mode. The only thing I can enter is in Settings. That's about it.

You need the windows cd to recover your windows installation.

It may be a hardware issue like failing ram, overheating cpu or power suppy, even failing motherboard(rare). Best thing to do is make sure your CPU is not clogged with dust first, then load up the windows CD and do a system recovery.

BillHates

^If it was one of those issues, why would the message say what it did? Sorry I am just trying to understand more.

Well, if the registry is having problems being read, then it could be the hard drive having issues, cpu not working right (cause it handles data), the ram faulting(cause cpu uses ram). It may simply be a missing file from your hard drive, due to corruption from any system malfunction.

Thus, we want to narrow down your problem by assuming that the file simply corrupted and is causing your BSoD and using the windows CD will resolve the problematic occurrence of your system instability. If using the windows CD does not fix your problem, then we may proceed to narrow further by elimination.

BillHates

Do I need the original Windows XP disc or the Windows XP SP2 disc?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online