1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Building A Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Games' started by KingKaran, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KingKaran

KingKaran Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm building a gaming laptop, is this a good gaming laptop:

Metabox Alpha N170RD
    17.3" FHD 1920 x 1080 Matte 72 Gamut LED
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
    Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache up to 3.50 GHz)
    16GB DDR3 1600MHZ Memory
    Intel 540S 120GB SATA3 M.2 SSD
    1TB 5400RPM HDD
    Intel 8260 AC Dual Band WIFI/BT
    DVD +- R/RW DL Slim Line
    No Operating System Selected - Install Your Own Operating System
    2 Year Metabox Premium Care Return To Base Protection

Is there anything that should be changed? Or anything swapped for something else, I tend to use this lapto only for gaming, all the choices for building are here: http://www.metabox.com.au/store/b185/Metabox-Alpha-N170RD-Laptop

Please help me, much love <3

2. Abyss233

Abyss233

Everything looks good to me, except if I were you I'd add -
    1TB 7200RPM HDD $135.00

The 7200 RPM will help when installing games and updates a lot, I have the 54, and I complain about it using up 100% of my disk at times when installing.

Also if don't think you will be buying disc's and you are planning on getting digital copies, the DVD+R you don't REALLY need.

And the OS is really up to you :) Just my opinion :)

3. KingKaran

KingKaran Thread Starter

Thanks mate, I really appreciate it, just 2 more questions. 1: do you think this laptop would be able to run games like ark survival evolved without lag and 2. Is it better to buy the OS from metabox or install my own once I get the laptop delivered to me.

4. Abyss233

Abyss233

1. You should be able to play games like Ark without lag, my computer isn't quite as good as the one you're looking at, and I can play on medium just fine.

2. Personally, if you know how to install the OS properly, do it yourself. I myself don't like companies to really do anything for me unless required. That way I know for sure what is on my PC etc. But if you'd like I don't see it really being an issue with them doing it for you.

5. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    Could you specify your budget? That way, we can help you get the best bang for your buck. Also, I've never heard of Metabox before.

6. KingKaran

KingKaran Thread Starter

My budget is anything under $1,700

7. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    For solely gaming, you may want to consider a card more powerful than the 960M. While it can handle most newer games at lower to medium settings, a 970M or even 980M would perform much better, at a higher cost. I also recommend looking at building a desktop (unless you're like me and like portability) because they are generally more powerful at the same price range.

Also, at your price range, it's not really worth "building" your own laptop.
    Take a look at this well-rated ASUS ROG gaming laptop for $230 more than the one you built. It has a slightly less powerful CPU (still good for gaming purposes), the 980M graphics card (much more powerful than the 960M), a backlit keyboard, 8GB more RAM, a 1TB Hard Drive, a multitude of I/O, and more.

The Acer Predator is another good choice at your price range, and for quite a few more dollars you can fit it with a GeForce 980 desktop-grade graphics card. But, the one in your price range has a 970M, which is still good, and has the added bonus of an SSD so you can boot it up very quickly.

8. KingKaran

KingKaran Thread Starter

I would build a PC but I don't have anywhere to set it up and I like portability. I plan on running games like ark survival evolved or Call of Duty, what you would recommend the most? I really want a laptop that Can run those games on good graphics and I want the laptop to look cool. I'm new to gaming laptops so I don't know much. What do you recommend I do?

9. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    My recommendation is that you give the ASUS ROG a shot. It looks cool, has really good specs for the price, and is built to last. I will say that it's from 2014 (which is only about 2 years old), but the specs are still to date. Unless of course you want to wait until 2017 for when the 1080M comes out, but those will likely be quite expensive.

As an added bonus, it's already built so you could have it in two days if you have a Prime account or pay for 2-day shipping (unless you live outside of the U.S., then I'm not sure if 2-day shipping applies).

10. KingKaran

KingKaran Thread Starter

ok man, I guess I will get the asus rog, do u think it will be able to run ark survival evolved on good graphics? And it's likely that I will have this laptop for 4 years, so what do u say

11. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    Yes, the 980M should be able to pull that off. It should also be good enough to last for another four years. Pascal was just released, but it will be a while before developers will implement its capabilities in their games.

There is also the MSI Dominator that's very competent with gaming. Its 980M model is about $400 out of your price range, but if you can manage to scrape that together it would be my top choice. It has lower tier options as well (with the 970M), but I strongly recommend the 980M for good gaming performance.

12. KingKaran

KingKaran Thread Starter

I'm in Australia, so how much would the asus rog cost in AUS?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice