Need help building a gaming rig!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Likeatalltree

Alright so my laptop wasn't what it was all cracked up to be! I'm going to sell it and build a gaming rig from scratch. I wan't to get most of the parts from newegg except maybe a monitor and case. I have a keyboard, mouse and speakers and a monitor if a new one doesn't fit my budget. I'd like to play the Sims 2 and expansions without lag or crappy graphics and maybe some other simulator games. Could anyone walk me through it or suggest some parts. I'd like an lcd monitor if i can afford it. My budget is around $800 more or less. Can anybody help me?

Thanks

You aren't looking at anything too expensive if all you want to run adequately is Sims 2 and other similar games. Infact you're looking at something very cheap, given Sims 2 minimum requirements.

http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21 said:
Minimum System Requirements for The Sims 2

If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM then you need at least:

* 800 MHz processor or better
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000
* At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

If you have a non-T&L capable video card (an Intel Extreme Graphics or a Radeon 7000/VE Series) then you need at least:

* 2.0 GHz processor or better
* 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
* At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

Get the most current driver for your video card. The manufacturers usually have the video drivers on their sites for you to download. Visit the nVidia site, the ATI site or the support site for your computer's manufacturer for the latest drivers for those video cards.

Supported video cards (and the more video memory the better):

* ATI RadeonTM series (7000 or better)
o Radeon 7000/VE series (non-T&L; requires 2.0 GHz processor)
o 7200, 7500
o 8500, All-In-Wonder 8500
o 9000, 9200, 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800
o X300, X600, X800

* Nvidia® QuadroTM series
o Quadro, Quadro2, Quadro4

* Nvidia® Geforce series (GeForce2 and better)
o GeForce2
o GeForce3, 3 Ti
o GeForce4, 4Ti, MX 420, 440
o GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700, 5800, 5900, 5950
o GeForce 6600, 6800

* Intel® Extreme Graphics (non-T&L; requires 2.0 GHz processor)
o 82845, 82865, 82915
To be honest a 19" LCD monitor would probably cost as much as the system you're actually building/buying :D

Can't really help you more than that given the fact I'm based in Europe and don't order parts off Newegg.com which is based in America, sorry :eek:

What sort of simulators you looking at running? War games, driving, flight, business, sports, sports management... whatever else might come to mind?

Likeatalltree said:
Alright so my laptop wasn't what it was all cracked up to be! I'm going to sell it and build a gaming rig from scratch. I wan't to get most of the parts from newegg except maybe a monitor and case. I have a keyboard, mouse and speakers and a monitor if a new one doesn't fit my budget. I'd like to play the Sims 2 and expansions without lag or crappy graphics and maybe some other simulator games. Could anyone walk me through it or suggest some parts. I'd like an lcd monitor if i can afford it. My budget is around $800 more or less. Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Yeah, build my machine only change the graphics to a 7900 GTX in SLI or an X1900XT in Crossfire.

My rig will kill any game there is right now, but an upgrade in video never hurts. ;)

Skivvywaver said:
Yeah, build my machine only change the graphics to a 7900 GTX in SLI or an X1900XT in Crossfire.

My rig will kill any game there is right now, but an upgrade in video never hurts. ;)
With a budget of $800? ;/

Hey JEB, verging on 100 posts a day, that's quite an impressive feat! :p

In other news, OMGWTFBBQ IM 18.

Offtopicness, begone!

Clumbsy_Mage said:
Hey JEB, verging on 100 posts a day, that's quite an impressive feat! :p

In other news, OMGWTFBBQ IM 18.

Offtopicness, begone!
*shrugs* I don't pay attention to that.

And happy birthday. :)

Okay, now it can leave.

Likeatalltree

I'd like it to play anything i throw at it but with $800 you can't build a monster.

Likeatalltree

I'm a big fan of rollercoaster tycoon and i would also like to play battlefield 2 if possible.

Likeatalltree

Actually I'll probably play any shooting, driving, or simulator games that i can get my hands on.

you can get an AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor and Motherboard from Newegg for around $450 and spend whatevers left on upgrades

thats what im going to do when i get some money

Clumbsy_Mage said:
With a budget of $800? ;/

I may end up selling this one for about that. :D I hardly ever game anymore and this power is going to waste. :(

I love the machine but I figure a Celeron or Sempron with an elcheapo card would surf the net just as well as this one does.;)

If I do decide to sell, I would ask more than $800. My vid cards were a grand but really I doubt I could get more than $1500 out of it. :(

DuO

For Sims 2 type games i would think a least 1 gig of ram, a 256 mb PCI x16 video card, and a 2.9 intel (a 2.7 amd would be good if u like amd better). Otherwise just get the least expensive PCI x16 motherboard and and an ok cooling system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online