1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help building a server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Photopilot, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Photopilot

Photopilot Thread Starter

I am looking to build a server for my house. This will be primarily for storage and to act as a print server. It will be supporting my desktop, HTPC and two laptops, so storing mostly photos, music and movies.

I currently have a case with an ASUS A7N8X- E Deluxe. It still needs a PSU, RAM to get setup. Is this a good MOBO for this project or should I look for something else?

The server will be kept in a remote room in the house. I will have a good WIFI -G router connecting everything. Will this be fast enough or should it be LANed to the HTPC and desktop for speed purposes? If possible should I have the router at the server or can it be in another part of the house?

I appreciate any suggestions or links on how to go about this.
    Thanks
    PP

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

This sounds like a good choice for staring a home server.

I'd recommend using a wireless N router so that you get the best coverage and speed throughout your home.

Also the router should be LAN'ed to the home server. Here is an example.

PC to ROUTER to SERVER [SLOW]
    PC to ROUTER(&)SERVER [OK]

LAN is always the way to go for speed.

3. Photopilot

Photopilot Thread Starter

The router I am thinking of getting would be a Linksys WRT54GL which I have used in another house with extremely strong and flawless signal throughout a 2 story house. So the N router would be faster, but only if I have an N-card in the computers that are being connected wirelessly? If I do not have an N adapter for any of my other computers would there be any reason to get a N router, except for future proofing my setup? Any suggestions on which one to get?

4. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Just stick to the one that most of your computers have in common.
    Most are wireless G anyways.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice