1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help building computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ryan711, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryan711

ryan711 Thread Starter

I would like to build my own computer but i do not know how much i want to spend. SO i would like some people to come up with some specs for a 500$ machine a 1000$ one a 1500$ one and a 2000$ one. The reason i would like to do this is because i want to compare them and see what i can get for what money. I dont care if it is a p4 or amd. and one more thing i am a gamer so the video card needs to be decent. I am a fan of ati. Thanks in Adv.

2. zeddy

zeddy

Whatever the price go for:-

Minimum 2.5ghz processor if P4

AMD 3000XP or the new 64

Graphics: mid range ATI 9600XT or Gforce 5700pro
    high range ATI 9800XT or Gforce 5900pro

Memory: 512mb minimum, depending on the set up PC2700 or PC3200

Audio: Audigy or Audigy 2 cards from creative.

Monitor: If space isnt a problem get a nice 19" screen or if it is a prob, get a 17" TFT - look out for the contrast ratio and speed of response.

Dont skimp on the case or PSU, go for aluminium case and a quality psu.

3. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

One of the things you may want to consider is how long you plan to keep the system for, and if the system can be upgraded later on.

When building a system you want to take advantage of the latest technologies and get the best price/performance for your bucks.

For example you can get a P4 3.4 GB 800mhz 410$ or a P4 3.0 GB 800 Mhz for 200$.
    In my opinion the 3.0 GB is a much better deal considering price/performance.

Another example is the Gforce FX 5950 vs Gforce FX 5900. The 5950 cost an additional 100$ that I don't think is worthed the difference.

In this case by choosing the P4 3.0 GB and Gforce FX 5900, you already saved 300$, that you can invest towards a better, bigger monitor.

I'll follow "Zeddy" advice.

Other things you may want to consider is to get:
    - S.A.T.A hard drive
    - A motherboard from a good vendor manifacturer (ASUS, ABIT, MSI etc..)
    (easier to find support (i.e: Bios update etc..))

Pricewatch.com is a good site to quickly compare prices. Also make sure to read Hardware reviews from site like Tom's Hardware, AnandTech, hardwarecentral etc...

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

I'd wait until the PCI Express slots will be available (later on this year) so you can upgrade.

I cannot stress this enough. Do your research and make sure that you purchase a motherboard that can be upgraded for the next 4 years to be semi-top-of-the-line. Asus all the way! Remember about the PCI Express though.

If you really want to build now though, go out to Asus's website

Also get a good power supply - name brand - Antec, Ermax, etc. at atleast 400Watts (usually overlooked when building)

5. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Oh yeah....I forgot that ATX cases will be replaced this year as well.
    So there are 2 reasons to wait for the new wave of technology

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice