Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help! Buying a new PC

833 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TheSeventhArtist 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new AMD based PC.
In particular, I like the new AM3 system however, the benchmarks indicate that the Phenom II 810 is quite **** so I better stick with the tri-core Phenom II 720. Is this a good gaming PC? I rarely upgrade so I guess I'm stuck with this PC for about 3-4 years. I just can't wait for the Phenom II 945 to be available. Also if there is a Phenom II 925, I would consider buying it.

BTW, my budget is around $750. I don't know much aside from the processor so a list about the other components would be really helpful.

Help me make this an epic build TSG! I want to play PC games again.
The last time I bought a computer was 7 years ago!:D:D:D

#4 ·
I have been an AMD fan for longer than I care to remeber- even back when cyrix were a player, i would swap between the 2, Howeverm and it sticks in the craw even though I took the route, Intel have got the edge now. A duo chip is going to give better performance for less money over all, and the price of quads is at a point where they are well worth considering. Know its not what you are looking for, but for the price, phenoms still look to be behind.
Video cards- if you like Nvidia, 8800 GT 512mb is a good buy. Tend to be solid, not too expensive, and perform well enough for most games around these days. Memory, if you stick with a DDR2 board, a known name for DDr2- 800 will be fine, doesnt make a lot of diff but check its compatible before you buy. you can go for low latency etc, but in performance terms theres no major hit, so price is probably a factor. 2 gig will do fine for most things.
Mobos- depends if you stay AMD or go Intel. Like I said, AMD I still love, and if the phenoms start picking up i will be the first on the case, but my q6600 and i7 rigs are just runnung too well for that as an option yet :)

#5 ·
Hey, thanks, Gulo! I was trying to remember what that cpu was I had one time...it was a Cyrux. P166+, if I remember correctly! The computer would make a funny vibrating sound sometimes, and when I finally looked inside, the litle blue heatsink was just hanging off the chip. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.