Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Help Buying New CPU

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
I've decided to upgrade my home desktop's CPU, as I only recently discovered that a Celeron D doesn't cut it, even if the listed speed is 3.33GHz. The trouble is, I don't know what my mobo is or what chips it supports. I also don't seem to be able to locate any non-dual core processors (I don't think my mobo can use multi-core CPUs). I'm just looking for a Pentium 4 that my system can use. If you can help me out, it'd be great.

Here's my current CPU (I couldn't find any information on what mobo I have):

Intel® Celeron® D Processor 356
(3.33GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache)

This is a eMachines desktop, but I've been adding on to it for awhile now. Let me know if you need more specs.

#3 ·
eMachines are hard to find out what processors they support. What model of eMachines do you have? Also use the SIW program to see if it will list a motherboard model, its going to be a custom board for eMachines but maybe something will come up on Google for it.

#4 ·
Thanks for recommending SIW, it's really useful!

As far as my PC is concerned:

It is an eMachines T3508

Here's what SIW gave me when I checked the mobo:

Property Value
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Model D101GGC
Version AAD54032-300
Serial Number BTGC61501943

North Bridge ATI RS400/RC400/RC410 Revision 01
South Bridge ATI SB400 Revision 01

CPU Intel(R) Celeron(R) D CPU 3.33GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 4 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed
And here's the CPU:

Property Value
Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / One Core / One Logical Processor / 64 bits
CPU Full Name Intel(R) Celeron(R) D CPU 3.33GHz
Vendor GenuineIntel
CPU Name Intel Celeron 356
CPU Code Name Cedar Mill
Platform Name Socket 775 LGA
Revision C1
Technology 65 nm
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, ET64, XD
Original Clock 3333 MHz
Original System Clock 133 MHz
Original Multiplier 25.1
CPU Clock 3341 MHz
System Clock 133.3 MHz
FSB 533.4 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kuops
L2 Cache 512 KBytes

#5 ·
OK, so its using a modified board from Intel. Here's the supported processor list from Intel: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d101ggc/sb/CS-025906.htm but eMachines may not support all these processors, that list is just a guideline.

IMPORTANT, do NOT update the BIOS from the Intel site or you can kill your motherboard. You should only update the BIOS from the eMachiens website to add new processor support: http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T Series&model=T3508

#6 ·
Well, it looks like your MB came way after the CPU list was last updated since your revision number is D54032-300 and there's no mention of a Celeron 3.33.

You can find a Pentium D 940 or 950(3.4Ghz) for around $100.

What kind of problems are you having that brought you to want to replace the CPU?

#7 ·
I'm interested in upgrading because my PC has some trouble running some games, and buying a new rig just isn't an option. I know it's the processor, as a few of the games have said on install that the processor will give "Poor" performance.

What exactly is the difference between Pentium D and Pentium 4? Is one "better" than the other, or is it more of a brand name thing?

Also, I've never updated the BIOS before; is there anything important I should know about or should I just download the update from the eMachines site and run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.