1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help! Can't Boot Up My Dell 8400 Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blorene, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blorene

blorene Thread Starter

I just bought a used Dell Dimension 8400 Series Desktop Computer with Pentium 4 running Windows XP, and had it running for about a week. Then I shut it down and when I tried to reboot it up it gives me a message that says
    'Type the system password and press <ENTER> Enter Password:' I don't know the password and I don't remember ever setting one up. I can't even get into setup.

Please Help. In desperate need.

Thank You for anyones input into this.

Sincerely,
    Slammed in Spokane
    :confused:

2. Flags

Flags

When you get that message, just hit Cancel or OK and see what happens.

3. blorene

blorene Thread Starter

Thank You for the advice.

I tried that and it says 'too many attempts, the computer needs to be shut down' So I restart it and the same message I started with appears again. :eek:

4. Flags

Flags

Can you contact the person you bought it from and get the password from him?

5. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Sounds like a Bios password has been setup.
    Do you happen to know the Developer of your Bios?

Standard Backdoor system passwords are as follows. (should this not work see below)

The first, less invasive, attempt to bypass a BIOS password is to try on of these standard manufacturer's backdoor passwords:

AWARD BIOS
    AWARD SW, AWARD_SW, Award SW, AWARD PW, _award, awkward, J64, j256, j262, j332, j322, 01322222, 589589, 589721, 595595, 598598, HLT, SER, SKY_FOX, aLLy, aLLY, Condo, CONCAT, TTPTHA, aPAf, HLT, KDD, ZBAAACA, ZAAADA, ZJAAADC, djonet, %øåñòü ïpîáåëîâ%, %äåâÿòü ïpîáåëîâ%

AMI BIOS
    AMI, A.M.I., AMI SW, AMI_SW, BIOS, PASSWORD, HEWITT RAND, Oder

Other passwords you may try (for AMI/AWARD or other BIOSes)
    LKWPETER, lkwpeter, BIOSTAR, biostar, BIOSSTAR, biosstar, ALFAROME, Syxz, Wodj

Note that the key associated to "_" in the US keyboard corresponds to "?" in some European keyboards (such as Italian and German ones), so -- for example -- you should type AWARD?SW when using those keyboards. Also remember that passwords are Case Sensitive. The last two passwords in the AWARD BIOS list are in Russian.

Should the above not work, you will have to flash the bios and im assuming you can't obviously get access to the computer since you can't get pass this password screen so to do this via the hardware, follow the instructions listed on this page
    http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html

I would have copied and pasted it in for you but its quite a bit to take in and post on here.

6. blorene

blorene Thread Starter

You are totally awesome! I will try this and let you know if it works or not.

Thank you so much!:)

7. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

If those don't work you can always try to clear the pasword. (I'm not sure whether this wokrs anymore but it is worth a shot :) ) If you are confident, crack open you case (not literally :p) and remove the little battery on the motherboard (it looks like a watch battery and is located usually in the bottom right). Leave the computer unplugged without this battery in for about 15 min and tehn replace it. Now when you reboot it should (fingers croossed) have lost the password :p

8. blorene

blorene Thread Starter

Thank You! I will let you know if it works. All you guys are AWESOME!! :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice