1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need help. can't format my hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jackoman, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackoman

jackoman Thread Starter

I just upgraded my win98 to win2k and am now trying to format my hard disk but keep getting 'volume in use by another proccess'. Can't get around this no matter what I try.
    This is exactly what I get when I'm using the command prompt.
    Format :c
    Type of fyle system is NTFS
    Enter current volume label for drive c: xxxxxxxxxx
    Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another proccess
    Format may run if this volume is dismounted first
    All open handles to this volume would then be invalid
    would you like to force a dismount on this volume? Yes
    Cannot lock the drive the volume is still in use

Any help would be highly appreciated

2. qwerty155

qwerty155

Sounds to me like you are trying to format the partition that you have actually booted into!
    Are you sure about which partition you need to format? Sounds like you may end up loosing everything if you get it wrong....
    Once you've sure about the above, you'll need to boot of a dos bootdisk and run from the command prompt.

3. KHolloman

KHolloman

That's exactly what your doing. When you boot into command prompt..you have actually booted.

You need to boot with a startup disk and from that command prompt do format c:

4. robapacl

robapacl

I always have a spare Maxtor around, already formatted, ready to install XP. If I want to keep any of the old data, I just disconnect it and use it as a slave for the new one, after the install. As a slave, I haven't had any problems formatting. Maxblast will also do it as a boot floppy but I'm never competely sure which drive is getting formatted unless there's only one there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/263875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice