1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Changing Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dpride, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dpride

dpride Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-NW270F laptop and I started getting the "A SMART event occured" message, so I bought a new hard drive. I have recovery disks that I created when I bought the computer about a year ago.

I put the new hard drive in and booted up the computer with the #1 recovery cd in the disk drive. The new hard drive is not recognized and the recovery option do not seem to apply to putting in a new hard drive. It prompts me to click a "select driver" button which takes me to the X drive files and the recovery disk files, but I cannot find a driver in either. Can anyone point me in the right direction and tell me what I need to do to install this new hard drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What operating system?

It may be asking you to choose a SATA driver if it is XP.

Is the old drive usable at all? If so, you could clone or image the old to the new and have everything the same as before.

3. dpride

dpride Thread Starter

OS is Windows 7. I can clone the old drive even though it says a SMART event occured? I thouhght maybe I would be copying errors into the new drive. Also, how would I go about cloning it? I can't plug it in unless the old drive is out? I am kind of new doing this stuff on my own.

4. raybro

raybro

To clone the old drive, you would need a USB external enclosure in which you could install the new drive. Then you can clone the old drive to the new one with any of a number of free software downloads. I'm partial to Easeus ToDo Backup Home.

There are many encolsures available online for a reasonable price at Tiger Direct.

5. dpride

dpride Thread Starter

Thank you for the help, raybro!

6. raybro

raybro

You are most welcome. Hope it works out for you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice