1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help changing intergrated graphics over to NVIDIA card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Heavensmutant, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Heavensmutant

Heavensmutant Thread Starter

Hello, I don't know if I should be posting this question in the hardware section or the games one but here goes anyway!

I just got a Dell XPS 15 or Dell XPS L502X. Now after I installed all my games onto the new system I notice something was off. My computer was using the on board Intel HD Family Graphics card to run my games instead of my NVIDIA Geforce GT 540M. Now I went to the NVIDIA settings and set the 3D settings to run on the NVIDIA High Performance Processor. Now some games ran off the NVIDIA card like Shogun 2, Dawn of War II, but a lot of the others wouldn't such as World of Warcraft.

Now I've tried a lot of things to turn off the Intel HD card and make the system favor the NVIDIA but it doesn't. When I run dxdiag it just displays the Intel card and not the NVIDIA. Now obviously the BIOS is running the Intel card first on start up and I was told to just turn off the Intel card in BIOS and enable the PCI (If that's what I called in BIOS?) card which is the NVIDIA card in BIOS but I can't get into BIOS. I press F2 on start up and if just gives information about the laptop and I can see any options to change the video settings or display.

I also tried to disable the Intel card in device manger but the screen just goes black and I have to force shut down and restart with the card off and I have to enable it again to get a normal screen resolution and such.

I am just completely lost on how to turn off the on board graphics and make my NVIDIA Geforce GT 540M the only card that runs off everything. I would really appreciate any help on the matter as I'm just upset since the computer is less than a week old and I can't use it to its full power.

Thank you.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

RAM: 8GBS

Direct x Verison 11

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

NVIDIA Geforce GT 540M

2. Heavensmutant

Anyone? Please?

3. Heavensmutant

4. Bharath012

Bharath012

Try un-installing the Display drivers for Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, and update your NVIDIA Card Drivers, it might work...

5. Heavensmutant

I just tried that and no luck. The screen went black like it does if I try to disable the Intel card and I have to force shut down and then the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family is a VGA monitor and then I just installed the driver back on. Because it still doesn't want to go to the NVIDIA.

Any more ideas? :)

6. Bharath012

Bharath012

Where have you connected the Monitor Cable(blue-one),..?
    To the motherboard or to the Graphic Card..
    In order to make use of the Graphic Card, You have to connect that cable to your graphic card.....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1002307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice