1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help choosing a computer for school!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tony2177, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tony2177

tony2177 Thread Starter

In a bit of a dilemma. I currently own a six year old MacBook which is running great, but since returning to school, I need to (rather soon) install Siemens NX. This is a program for 3D modeling and the like. Apparently my school doesn't have Mac licensing so I can't use it.

As a result, I'm looking at getting a cheap, reliable laptop that will essentially run NX. That's it. I couldn't find the file size for NX, but the instructions from my school say "Download the four (4) media files to a temporary location. WARNING: These are all VERY large: 1.5GB - 3.5GB each."

Two questions for everyone:

1) Would a computer like this work for running NX smoothly?

Lenovo Thinkpad X140e 20BL000BUS 11.6" AMD A4-5000 Quad Core 4GB 500GB Win7 Pro Best Student & Business Ultrabook Laptop

Summary
    Screen Size 11.60 inches Processor 1.50 GHz AMD A Series RAM 4 GB Hard Drive 500 GB Graphics Coprocessor AMD Radeon HD 8330 Chipset Brand AMD Wireless Type 802.11bgn Number of USB 2.0 Ports 1 Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2

Other Technical Details
    Brand Name Lenovo Series X140e Item model number 20BL000BUS Hardware Platform PC Operating System Windows 7 Professional Item Weight 3.9 pounds Processor Brand AMD Processor Count 4 Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM Hard Drive Rotational Speed 7200.00 Optical Drive Type None Audio-out Ports (#) 1

http://www.amazon.co...21369027&sr=1-1

2) If not, do you have any suggestions as to what I should get that's under $300-400?

Thank you!

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Recommended requirements vary based on the software version (ie: NX 8, NX 9, etc.).

Basic recommendations are Win7 Pro, 8GB + RAM

As with any modeling or editing software:

Fastest multiple core cpu that fits your budget
    64bit OS to support over 4GB of RAM
    8GB+ RAM (as your budget allows)
    HDD with enough free space to store all of your work (as you noted above, the 4 files you are starting with are quite large. so anticipate how many files you may have at the end of the year and plan accordingly)

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what machines are currently been used - or what machines have the students used last year
    see what specs they have also how they perform
    some people may tell you a CPU XX and 4GB ram works - but it takes 40mins to render or 2 hours to render
    others may say a CPU XX with 8GB ram takes 2 mins to render or may take 30mins
    there must be some advice from the school - as they are teaching the subject and have students with PCs that use it !!!!! surely

What are the specs of your macbook - if very high , maybe look into bootcamp/parrallels and running windows 7 -
    whats the Mac CPU and RAM ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice