1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Help Choosing New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by showroomconsultant, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. showroomconsultant

showroomconsultant Thread Starter

Hello, I am in need of a new computer at my workplace. I received a quote from a local shop however it is greek to me and I am not sure he is just using me to buy stuff I don't need. Can anyone in here help me decide what is the best option for me?

2. Scudstorm

Scudstorm

Hmm you didn't post your options?

Otherwise you should still provide the following basic info:

- Budget
    - Softwares that will be used / tasks that will be performed
    - Physical space limitations

3. showroomconsultant

Well , I'm not even sure what options I should be looking for. The Tech guy quoted me a Dell i3 with a 240GBSolid State Drive Upgrade, or a Dell i5 with the 240 GBSolid State Upgrade. I thought this may be overkill and more for what I need. I basically just need to be able to have 3 windows open all the time and I would love to actually type. I have to pretty much chickenpeck the keys so the computer can keep up. I need my email, Facebook, and ProKitchen open. That is all I use.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

An i3 is a very basic or entry level processor; an i5 is the mainstream processor family. I highly doubt anyone is overselling you on parts you do not need. A ssd is pretty much standard unless you go VERY low end.
    If someone was trying to oversell, they would have quoted you an i7, M.2 drive, high end video card, etc, etc.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If this is a workplace system, why are you getting quotes? That is the job of the IT dept or IT guy if it is a small business.

6. showroomconsultant

Thank You crjdriver! We do not have IT. It's just 2 of us here designing kitchens.

7. showroomconsultant

I have to act as IT even thought I don't know much about computers. This is why I found this site and thought I would ask the experts if someone is willing to help me out

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If this is going to be a business system, you need to do some planing and thinking about HOW you want it setup. How much storage you need; a 240gig drive is enough for windows, office and [probably] whatever design program you use however it is not going to be enough IF you need to store a lot of files ie docs, pics, large database files, etc, etc.

You need a backup plan since you do not want to lose invoices, important files, etc. Backing up a business workstation should be done on a regular basis.

9. showroomconsultant

Yikes! Well were pretty old fashion here. Our invoices are done out of a book. Copies are kept in a paper file. Not too much is kept on the computer. Quotes, Pictures saved off the internet that's about it. ProKitchen files I think would be the most.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said, you need to do some thinking and planing. Right now with what you posted, you can draw an analogy to buying a car. You do not just pick a car, the car must do what you need ie haul stuff, used in heavy snow, or whatever.

First decide exactly what you want to system to do AND how much storage you need. You are the only one who can answer those questions.
    As for a basic system used for general office type stuff, dells are pretty good. Where I work, we must have at least 3~4000 of them; used for many different tasks; general office, record keeping, email, weather data, etc, etc. We have to do mandatory backups that are kept off site. These are govt regulations. I would assume your record keeping would not have so stringent requirements.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice