1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help choosing new graphics card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Razorcane, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Razorcane

Razorcane Thread Starter

Ok, so I'm getting a new graphics card,but I have a fairly low budget (150 max) and I was wondering if someone could help me choose a card that's great with price vs. performance.

I current have a GeForce 9600 GSO and a 420-watt power supply(came with the case). I really don't want to have to get a new power supply but I could probably push an extra 50 dollars for one.

I had 3 picked out:
    GeForce 9800 Superclocked
    GeForce GTS 250
    GeForce 9800 GTX+

Looking at those, I noticed that the 9800 Superclocked is one I could used without having to purchase a new power supply. However the other 2 aren't out of the question. Also, if you have an ATI alternative to suggest I would be more then happy to check it out. Other then that, I need the FPS of each card, to better determine what I want(unsure of the technical stuff). Right now, my card can run Battlefield Bad Company 2 at Medium settings with 4x AA on at 1920x1080 with no lag, and if you could compare those to that it would be appreciated.

2. Jordster

Jordster

You could go for a XFX Radeon 5770 which is one of the new ones for $159, but it needs a minimum of 450W. It would be a much more significant upgrade from your 9600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0462&cm_re=radeon_5770-_-14-150-462-_-Product

However if your tight for budget, I'd go for the GTS 250.

What are your system specifications? You cannot tell what FPS the cards will get because it varies on many things, but looking at your specs will give us a rough estimate.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Radeon 5770 is the best card of the one's listed, next is the 5750(not listed but in the price range), GTS 250 and 9800GTX+, the 9800GT being the last. You can check out benchmarks here: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...2009-high-quality-update-3/benchmarks,70.html

Worst part is you really should get a new power supply. A Raidmax PSU isn't going to be of any good quality, and quality is just as important as the ratings on the power supply. How many amps does it have on the critical +12 volt rail?

If $50 is your budget for the PSU, then this will do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

4. Compiler

Compiler

All those cards 9800GT, GTX+ and GF-250 are all pretty much the exact same card... almost kind of pointless. And the 250 costs almost as much as a 5770.

The 9600GSO (depending on version) maybe a crippled version of a 9800.

The RaidMax "420w" PSU is actually more like a 275~300w PSU... at best.... the 5V is just not as important on modern computers.

Here are the stats on the RAIDmax 420:
    [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

And here's a Thermaltake 500w... its a bit cheaper than OCZ since OCZ never honors rebates.
    [email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected], [email protected]

Link to TT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=Thermaltake_power-_-17-153-113-_-Product

You're lucky your 9600 is working with what you have.

Unless you get a 5770, 5830, 4870~4890 or GeForce-285 or 470... you're not going to see a big difference in performance over what you have now.

5. Razorcane

Razorcane Thread Starter

Jordster: My system specs are the ones on the little computer icon next to my name.

Triple6: My budget limit would be 200 dollars for the PSU and the GPU including tax and shipping, so I can't go much more expensive than 50 dollars on a PSU. I fount one that looked promising(based on the reviews). Granted it doesn't match my ugly case, but I'm really going for more performance then looks. RAIDMAX Hybrid 2 530w PSU If I got that PSU I would have roughly 110 dollars to spend on a graphics card, which would limit my choices by quite a bit.

I could probably squeeze a XFX Radeon 4850 if it's going to allow me to play with 4xAA with no lag.

6. Compiler

Compiler

Shakes head.

Raidmax, ugh.

7. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

Raidmax is a BIG no. Don't take a Raidmax. Why don't you wait a while more until you have the money for something decent? Its not going to be a long wait and its better to wait a bit than to run the risk of killing your system

8. Compiler

Compiler

$10 difference in price too.. I linked to a good mid-range PSU ($60)... but goes with a raidmax that is modular (which costs more money) and lighted (costs more money), yet costs $10 less.

Good modular PSUs are not cheap.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice