Need help choosing ram

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jijboi25

I recently purchased a "Black Friday" Compaq laptop (Compaq v5303nr)and so far everythings great, but I really want to upgrade my RAM for speed and playing basic games. I went onto Crucial Technology's website, and it said I needed a:
512MB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR PC3200 memory module

Can someone direct me to what would be compatible on eBay or Newegg.com because i have no idea of what I should buy. Would any 200-pin memory card work? And do I really need to spend the extra money on a 1 GB, or will a 512 be good?

Thanks

Hi ... For basic games is ok but 1 gb would be much better , How much Ram do you have now ?

Would any 200-pin memory card work?
As long as it is DDR PC3200 ( not DDR2 ) it should be ok . . The Crucial configurator should have told you how much memory it can take ( one stick or two ) . . be carefull buying memory on eBay . . find a seller with a good history, or go to NewEgg to get it

jijboi25

I have 512 right now, and my computer has another empty slot right now, so if I got the 512mb, that would be a total of around 1gb

The Crucial site said:
Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

Hi ... What I would do is try to view the one you have now and see if you can find a match ,if not ? Then get something with the same specs , I also would look at your manual or go to Compaq website for info on your laptop

You are heading for disaster....when Rich said "As long as it is DDR PC3200 ( not DDR2 ) it should be ok" you were both heading down the garden path.
Ddr ram cannot just be picked out by speed and thrown into any old system. You were on the right track at Crucial. If you take the model numbers suggested and find them at Newegg, you might save a $ or 2. Or you should go to www.kingston.com or corsair.com and find the model numbers then buy them wherever you like. PQi is crap and bought on eBay like a pig'npoke, that is the service you will get. You need to match density, cas latency and ecc factor first, then speed.

I recently upgraded my RAM by using the Crucial service and buying from them. Shipping was very quick. My savings by going elsewhere were just not enough to make it worthwhile. Right stuff for my machine-plugged in OK and no problems.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online