1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need help choosing ram

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jijboi25, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jijboi25

jijboi25 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a "Black Friday" Compaq laptop (Compaq v5303nr)and so far everythings great, but I really want to upgrade my RAM for speed and playing basic games. I went onto Crucial Technology's website, and it said I needed a:
    512MB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR PC3200 memory module

Can someone direct me to what would be compatible on eBay or Newegg.com because i have no idea of what I should buy. Would any 200-pin memory card work? And do I really need to spend the extra money on a 1 GB, or will a 512 be good?

Thanks

2. snooker

snooker

Hi ... For basic games is ok but 1 gb would be much better , How much Ram do you have now ?

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

As long as it is DDR PC3200 ( not DDR2 ) it should be ok . . The Crucial configurator should have told you how much memory it can take ( one stick or two ) . . be carefull buying memory on eBay . . find a seller with a good history, or go to NewEgg to get it

4. jijboi25

jijboi25 Thread Starter

I have 512 right now, and my computer has another empty slot right now, so if I got the 512mb, that would be a total of around 1gb

The Crucial site said:
    Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

5. snooker

snooker

Hi ... What I would do is try to view the one you have now and see if you can find a match ,if not ? Then get something with the same specs , I also would look at your manual or go to Compaq website for info on your laptop

6. jijboi25

jijboi25 Thread Starter

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

should work fine . . decent price . . good vendor

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

You are heading for disaster....when Rich said "As long as it is DDR PC3200 ( not DDR2 ) it should be ok" you were both heading down the garden path.
    Ddr ram cannot just be picked out by speed and thrown into any old system. You were on the right track at Crucial. If you take the model numbers suggested and find them at Newegg, you might save a $ or 2. Or you should go to www.kingston.com or corsair.com and find the model numbers then buy them wherever you like. PQi is crap and bought on eBay like a pig'npoke, that is the service you will get. You need to match density, cas latency and ecc factor first, then speed.

9. jmtechserv

jmtechserv

What ever brand you settle on, it’s generally a good idea to get a matched set.

10. 1101doc

1101doc

I recently upgraded my RAM by using the Crucial service and buying from them. Shipping was very quick. My savings by going elsewhere were just not enough to make it worthwhile. Right stuff for my machine-plugged in OK and no problems.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!